Chapter 1

I woke up in a cold sweat. I kept having flashbacks to when my dad left.

~~Flashback brought to you by my relative's sausage dog named Pickles. ^_^ ~~

Ever since I was a baby I have been reacting weirdly to flashing lights. My parents were always worried. When I was four they took me to the doctors. "Photosensitive epilepsy." He said. Dad excused himself to go to the toilet. After he didn't come back for 30 minutes, mum said thank you, and picked me up and took me to the car. "Mummy?" I asked as she buckled me in the child seat. "Why did daddy go away?"

When we got home, mum sat me on her bed and said, "Daddy is very sad Niki. He's gone.." "Where daddy go?" She looked at me for a bit. "On holidays, very far away to a magic place for daddies when they are sad." "When Daddy come back?" "When daddy isn't sad anymore."

~~END OF FLASHBACK~~

I look at the time. 8:30. Oh no. I grab my backpack and open the door. "Bye Mum!" I yell into the house. "Bye Nik! Don't let Christopher bother you." I shut the door and run outside, trailing behind some other kids so Christopher doesn't see me. My mum's name is Katie. She changed my last name to hers, McCallef, so I don't remember my dads' last name. I wasn't born a McCallef. I was made one.

A little girl runs up to me. She looked about five. "Hello. Do you go to Copperfield? I'm new here, can you tell me how to get there?" I think of an easy way to say this. "Sure. So you see this road here? You go down it until there is another road, and you turn down there. Do you want me to show you? Where are your parents?" She takes me to a man talking to a shopkeeper, and a woman holding a baby. "This boy is going to show us to school." She says. "Oh hi there, I'm Sharon. This is my daughter Becky, my son Daniel, and my husband Finn." The man turns around, and he looks vaguely familiar, likes it's in the back of my mind. "I'm Nik. Nik McCallef. Nice to meet you." I say shaking hands with them. "We're gonna be late!" Becky says. She runs down the street, close to the oncoming traffic. I run down the road and pick her up just before she crosses it. "Don't run into roads ok? You could get hurt. We are going this way." I say, pointing right. Sharon and Finn walk to us. "Thank you so much." They say. We walk to school together, Becky holds my hand all the way to the gate.

453 words