h e r

Thursday 8th March

3:45 pm

I could finally breathe, the end of the school day had finally graced itself upon me

I could finally breathe, the end of the school day had finally graced itself upon me. Now, i could be away from the judgmental stares and harsh whispers. As if i couldn't hear them.

Stupid idiots.. 

High school kids were all the same, sorry for the stereotype but in most cases it were true. The rich were snobby and thought too highly of themselves, everybody else was irrational and rude.

 In rare events you would find a sweet cheerleader, or generous linebacker, but the critique from everybody else overwhelmed the purity that some people held. Which then leads to experiences that were unpleasant and uncalled for.

If you had four kind people, but forty impudent students, surely you'll be more affected by the impudence of the students.

Stepping out of the school felt like a relief, I generously make my way towards the street that led towards my house.

Unnerved, my hands kept trembling at the feeling of being watched, I constantly glanced behind my shoulder, expecting a shadow lurking behind the tall trees. But all that met my sight was an eerily empty street, with cars occasionally driving past every few minutes. 

I turned back around, continuing my journey to my humble abode.

As I trudged along the sidewalk, I could faintly hear the train rumbling as its' tires skidded across the tracks. In my eighteen years of living, there hasn't been a day that a train had not commuted its way on the tracks, that lay behind the back-gardens of the glorious houses on this street.

A sleek black car treaded along the curb, coming to a slow stop at the glaring red stoplight. The tires braking on the asphalt created an unsatisfactory sound that screeched in my ears. Immediately, I cringe away from the sound and sped up my pace.

Eventually I reach the withering brown door of the house I called my own. It was far from what a home should be, but it was shelter and a house. I couldn't possibly ask for more, at least this way nobody would see my daily breakdowns and psychotic lash outs. 

Fumbling for my keys, I notice the handsome man (that I seem to see nearly everyday) that is currently driving into his driveway. He doesn't see me, but I acknowledge him sporadically. Not thinking much of it, I ultimately locate my keys and let myself in the cold, unwelcoming house of mine.

Darkness painted the air, a streak of the near setting sun peaking through the closed curtains. It reflected on the small particles of dust that wandered the empty atmosphere.  

My hands automatically wander to the wall on the left of me, searching for the light switch. After finding it, I switch on the lights. The room lit up, the cold deserted hallways now luminous. A hissing emits from near the staircase, Oscar, my cat, slowly stalks out into the light.

This scene oddly reminding me of vampires being forced to be exposed to the light. 

I drop my bag on the couch that sat lonely in the middle of the living room, it lands with a thud that echoed into the emptiness that devoured the household. Oscar, using this opportunity, pounces into my arms. I chuckle lowly, whilst petting him behind his ear and snuggling him to my chest.

"Mum? Dad?" I call out, knowing that I wouldn't receive an answer. They're never here. Stepping out of the living room I make my way to the kitchen to find something to eat, mid-way Oscar decides to jump out of my arms and retreat back to his hiding spot behind the staircase.

I generally avoid eating in the cafeteria because someone will end up angering me or I'll become paranoid and end up losing my mind.

Not that I already am...

The coolness of the fridge washes over me like chewing a minty gum and drinking water after. To put it simply, it was freezing. My eyes scour for something edible, but all that I see is a bowl of soggy salad and a few bottles of juices. 

At this rate I'll have to start going work again, so I could afford more groceries. Mum and dad were clearly not going to provide me with any money or food. 

Their money is just enough to pay for my college and this house. Disgruntled, I shut the fridge door and make my way to the couch where I'd discarded my coat earlier on. The temperature was still cool from the winter's end, it was said that the weather shall be sunnier in a few weeks. 

Coddletown was a naturally chilly city due to it being in Donum, a country that was known for it's extreme cold temperatures during winter. But also its' boiling hot temperatures during summer. Sometimes it was a great thing, other times it is just a dreadful experience.

Shrugging on my coat, I carefully slide my hair out from where it was stuck in between the coat and my back. I make my way out of the door, making sure to hear it lock behind me. 

We couldn't afford to be robbed at the moment, even though there really isn't anything of value in the household. I stride to my neighbor's house, knocking on their door that was similar to ours.

"Oh hello dear, are you alright?" A frail head peeks out of the door. Mrs Grayson was the sweetest lady there was, she'd always been the one to feed me when I had no food. In a sense she was basically my grandma. Mrs Grayson had two children, a daughter and a son. Both are adults and have children of their own. 

"I'm alright Mrs Grayson- it's a bit embarrassing of me to ask you but is it possible if  I-" I am cut off by her sharp tone, and a shake of her head.

"Nonsense Nerezza, come in, come in. It's quite chilly out there." She ushers me in with her pale thin arms, urging me towards the kitchen. 

The rest of the  night carries on with both of us eating dinner in a serene silence, the absence of her grandchildren and children did not do anything to disturb our fun.

In due course the day wraps  up to an end, and I make my way back next door to my home. 

One more day of school, then pure bliss for a good two weeks.