(2) Cherries and Dirt

As I stretched and opened my eyes, I was suddenly in a panic. Xavier wasn’t there. I listened for any signs of movement and was freaking out when I heard nothing. After what we have been through, anything could have happened. His scent wasn’t fresh, so he hadn’t been in bed in possibly an hour. My practically healed fingers brushed over the red sheets as if he might appear there at any moment.

“Xavier?” I croaked, sitting straight up in bed.

I threw the blankets back and stumbled out of the bedroom and into the hall. My feet were making a smacking sound as I ran across the cold tile in search of him. Something was wrong, I felt it.

“Xavier?!” I screamed as I made my way towards the garage.

“Lucy?”

I paused in front of the garage door and made my way back up the stairs. Xavier stood in the bedroom looking confused. I examined him thoroughly in case he was hurt or something. He wore his pants, still shirtless, with the bandage still wrapped around him tightly. Immediately, out of relief to see him, I grabbed onto him and hugged tightly.

This shocked him. His hands hovered over me for a moment before gently wrapping around me. I buried my face into his chest and took a deep, unnecessary breath to let his scent fill my nose. It was astonishing that I was so worried about him. I’ve never really been that worried about my creator. He usually got what he deserved in my eyes. Things have changed tremendously since then, though. We just kind of stood there, hugging tightly as if we were about to go up in flames. Who knows, we might just do that.

“I thought the curse…” I explained as we pulled away from each other.

“Yeah, I wonder when that will take effect…” He played with my hair for a minute as he spoke.

“What were you doing, anyway?”

Before he answered my question, he grabbed my hand and led me into the master bathroom. I looked around the bathroom, surprised. Surrounding us were tiny candles, the only thing that was lighting the room. Everything smelled like sweet flowers and…oatmeal? I looked around and noticed how the tub was filled and all bubbly. That’s where the smell of oatmeal was coming from.

“Oatmeal?” I questioned, looking towards the tub.

“It is good for the skin. I think it’ll work on the dead as well. I saw you admiring the bath tub last night and thought you might like to use it.” He closed the bathroom doors behind us and then turned on some soft music. “It’s cheesy, I know.”

“I don’t mind cheesy… I actually like it.”

“Well then, Miss Moore, why don’t you get in the tub?”

Hearing my last name shocked me for over a minute. I stood there, my eyebrow raised, confused by his wording. He never used my last name, because it was too human. I gave a slight smile to show that I wasn’t suspicious.

“Let me take the bandage off first.” He didn’t even ask as he pulled the shirt over my head and started untying the bandage around my stomach.

My expression was sour because he never asks for permission to touch me. His hand brushed over my neck and down to the bandage. Once he removed it he was pleased to find only a pink scar where the wound had been last night. His finger trailed over the mark and he randomly, and gently, bent down to kiss it.

“It was a close call,” he murmured with his lips planting tiny kisses over my stomach.

“It’s always a close call for us, isn’t it?” I sighed with a little smile forming on my lips.