Chapter 18: Neji Has Feelings

A/N: Sorry it's taken so long to get back into this! But I've been doing some writing, and I think I'll begin slowly trickling updates again.

-Chapter 18-

It was a long morning filled with different exercises. Due to the camp's theme, Kakashi taught them how to take hold of their 'chakra' and do different techniques - called 'jutsus' - to successfully disarm or even harm their opponent.

The three kids grasped them quickly. Due to their intelligence, they quickly caught on and even began to emulate some of the more difficult moves before lunch had even come.

Kakashi, although sweaty and tired, smiled with pride at his three charges practicing their moves on each other.

"Had enough?" He asked, chuckling when they turned to him with a glare, chorusing "No!"

-

Lunchtime had come. After a couple of accidents with wires (Sakura maintains the stance that she totally didn't mean to trip up their teacher into a thorny patch of berries), they decided to call it quits and get washed up - or, in their teacher's case, get Shizune's help in picking out the thorns.

Sasuke exhaled quietly as he leaned against the wall behind himself, focusing his eyes on the ceiling. The boys around him made quiet small-talk, and for once, Naruto seemed to focus intently on something rather than rambling. Fitting, because tensions were at an all-time high.

He glanced to his left to see Neji staring at his food, his shoulders bunched up.

"What's on your mind?" He asked, and the brunet flinched.

"What do you care?" Neji retorted, sending him a half-hearted glare and taking a bite of food.

"You're more morose than usual," Sasuke replied, trying his best to keep his temper in check. "Just need to make sure that you're not deteriorating in skills so that when we go toe-to-toe, it'll be considered a fair match."

"Piss off, Uchiha." Neji finally growled, making a couple of other occupants pause in conversation. "I don't believe my well-being is any of your business. Leave me, or you'll have more to worry about than having just a pretty face."

Sasuke's nose scrunched up and he returned the glare full-force. Out of everyone at the table, of course he would pull that card. Damn Hyuuga. He knew Sasuke was sensitive about his looks.

"Look, if you're going to be an asshole about it, then fine." Sasuke waved it off. "But something's bothering you. What is it."

Neji rolled his eyes and turned to continue eating for a few moments.

When he'd cleaned every last bit of rice from his plate, he stood up, grabbing his tray.

"I'll give you one last chance," was his icy warning as he walked away.

Sasuke glanced over at Naruto, only to find the blond motioning for him to go after the emotional rival. He heaved an irritated sigh and followed him to the tray station.

Neji was daintily putting away his teacup and muttering a 'thank you' to the dish lady when he got there. The boy knew he was there, but he put his tray away with a forced air of calmness.

"I warned you," he said simply. He finally turned to stare at Sasuke, arms folded across his chest. "Why do you insist on bugging me?"

"You're acting off." Sasuke answered in a deadpan tone. "After everything that's happened here - teachers, students going missing - it would be an injustice to leave your problem unsolved."