the revelation

the revelation

Thirteen days later...

     "Mira, hurry up!" Melissa Hughes called to her three-year old daughter as she stood by the front door, waiting patiently.

      "I'm here, Mommy!" Miracle called as she came running up to her, a small blue and white stuffed bear in her arms. "I got him!"

      Melissa smiled down at the tiny girl. Bending low, she pulled the thick pale blue tam over Mira's soft dark brown curls, tying its soft strings under her chin to secure it.

      "There we go. Are you ready to see Benji?"

      "Yes!" Mira was all-but bouncing with excitement at the thought of meeting her six-month old godbrother.

     "And we're giving him this bear without crying, right?" Melissa arched a brow at her.

     "Yes," Mira said with a lot less enthusiasm. She clutched the bear against her tiny body, her eyes growing sad. Melissa kissed her cheeks.

     "You're such a good girl, Miracle." This made the child beam, pleased. Her mother stood up and opened the door, then reached out to firmly hold onto one of Miracle's hands. They stepped out the small single-story house, and Miracle waited patiently, watching with sparkling eyes as Melissa locked the door securely. Together, they turned and moved down the pathway towards the sidewalk.

     Melissa paused briefly, noticing the black sedan parked on the road in front of their home. A year ago, she would be panicking at the sight of it, fearing that she would lose her baby. Today, however, she simply squared her shoulders and continued walking.

      As she and Miracle got onto the sidewalk and began to make the short walk to the Walkers' home, someone on the inside of the car opened the door. Her steps slowed as she took in the tall, fair-skinned man who exited the car, his gaze locked onto Mira in shock.

     "Are you finally back?" Rufus demanded over the phone in Simeon's hand. The older Mr. Harris had been calling Simeon's phone for the past three days now, but Simeon had not answered. He had instead powered through the remaining few jobs, repaying his debt to Heidi in full with the close of his final transaction.

      To thank him for his hard work, she had set a large yellow envelope in his hands, a somber look in her green eyes.

     "You're always welcome here," she'd added as he'd stared at the envelope quizzically. "Even if only as a friend."

     Heidi had turned to leave the room when she'd casually announced that his father was demanding to see him.

      "I may not work for him anymore, but he knows that we're close. He probably put two and two together."

     "I'll deal with him," Simeon had responded tersely. He hadn't, however. The contents of that envelope had stunned him, and he had found himself immediately making plans to confirm it all at the second most critical source. The next day, he had arrived in Fort Judah - a city two hours away from St. Albany, where he and Heidi lived.

      When he had pulled up in front of the white trimmed peach single-story home in a suburban area, his phone had rung off, and he'd answered it reflexively. It had been his father.

     "You gave me more time," he was saying now as his eyes glued onto the front door. "So no."

      "But you're back in St. Albany, so, naturally, I assumed -"