the memories

the memories

     "What are you doing?" Willow asked. It was Monday afternoon, and she had walked into the bookstore after school to find Sienna standing in front of an empty shelf and staring at it.

     Startled, Sienna spun to face her. Today she wore black flats, thick black leggings and a loose gray t-shirt dress that said 'You're welcome' across the front in bold print. She'd clipped her hair carelessly at the back of her head.

     "Huh?"

     Willow cane to stand just in front of her and raised a brow at her.

      "Are you okay?"

     "I....don't know?" She crouched down to the box at her feet and pulled a stack of romance novels out, then placed them on the shelf. She bent to grab some more.

      Willow dropped her backpack on the floor and assisted until all the books were sitting in piles on the shelf instead of in the box. She picked up the box and unfolded it, leaning it against the shelf behind them for now.

      "What's wrong?" she asked Sienna as they started to sort the novels by author.

      "I don't know what to do," Sienna said glumly.

      "Wait....is this about the date yesterday?"

      Sienna nodded.

     "What happened?"

      "He kissed me," she all-but wailed.

     Willow's eyes grew wide in surprise.

     "Wow," she said. "Congratulations?"

     Sienna didn't look happy about it.

      "Don't congratulate me, Will. It only makes everything more complicated, and I haven't let anyone kiss me since-" Sienna cut herself off and took a deep breath, slowly releasing it. "I don't know what to do."

      "Did you not want to be kissed?"

       "No. Yes? I don't know! It just happened and now I'm panicking. I couldn't even speak afterwards. My mind was in chaos. We ate, then he dropped me home. Were we supposed to talk about it?"

      Willow fought the urge to grin. She rarely saw Sienna this animated, and was glad for the change.

      "First: Relax." Willow took the books from Sienna's hands and placed them on the shelf, leading her to the cashing counter. "Sit."

       Sienna sat.

      "You're a grown woman with some experience, I believe," Willow began. "I'm not. Everything I can tell you about relationships I get from media - not really a reliable source.You can't always take my advice. That being said, I'd advise you not to make any rash decisions.

       "My brother has been pursuing the idea of you for a long time, but if that's not what you want then don't allow him to bully you into being with him."

      Sienna blinked.

      "Shouldn't you be on his side?" she asked curiously.

      "I am. But I'm also on your side, and Sensei's. I love you all so I can't really pick favorites." Willow shrugged.

      "That's pretty noble of you." Admiration laced her tone, making Willow smile, pleased.

     "It's a lot if work. The three of you are frustrating to watch, but I digress."She waved her arm. Locking gazes with Sienna, she arched her brows and asked: "What do you want?"