3 | Broken Copper Blades

⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷《 ✮ 》⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷

Two Years Later

Clang. Clang. The sound of Hestia's hammer hitting bronze reverberated through the workshop. Each strike on the weapon resting on the anvil sent small tremors through her body as she attempted to mold the metal into what would be her sword. The alloy still glowed eerie shades of red and orange since it hadn't been long that it had been removed from the furnace.

She took a moment to gather her bearings and wipe the sweat from her forehead with the back of her gloved arm. Crafting a weapon required more than brute strength. A craftsperson needed to be well-versed with the various types of metals in order to understand what made a rapier or saber stand out from the rest.

Copper, though cheap and easily malleable, was not a suitable material for metalworks. Its composition was too soft and flexible, making it more susceptible to frequent repairs. Unfortunately, she had learned that the hard way during the past two years of her apprenticeship. An overflowing bucket of broken copper blades sat under her table, serving as nothing but a reminder to her of her failed projects.

She recalled the time when Master Haemon had been hovering over her like an incessant bee and its enticing flower when she started experimenting with copper. He buzzed about, doing nothing but muttering and scoffing at everything she did.

"Copper is a temperamental metal to work with, Ms. Castellanos," Master Haemon had remarked with what appeared to be a scowl on his face. It was difficult to differentiate between his expressions of concentration and frowns due to the bushy grey beard that obscured most of his face. If anything, it made her feel more tense being around him.

She gripped onto the rod tightly, turning it every once in a while to make sure the furnace's heat was being distributed evenly throughout the mold. She released her hold on the rod to brush back a stray strand of hair. "Yes," she replied, "but I think that we could use it to our advantage."

"Oh?" he replied, the amusement not reaching his eyes as he continued to stare at her with the same grumpy expression.

She placed her hands on the rod and pulled the scalding hot mold out of the forge, setting it on the anvil. She walked over to her station, motioning her teacher to follow her. He trudged behind her begrudgingly, waiting for her to continue.

She removed the copper from another mold that she had prepared the day before yesterday and explained, "You've always told us that in order to make a quality sword, we need to follow the four basic principles: hardness, durability, flexibility, and balance. Copper may not be as tough as bronze or steel but it grants the wielder the ability to think on their feet. It's lighter and flexible, which could help wielders that utilize speed to win their battles."

He rubbed his face with both hands and let out a deep sigh. "Ms. Castellanos, how will speed help you if your opponent shatters your blade upon contact or if your blade bends under the pressure of the wind with each strike?"

"I think that with repeated hardening and tempering, it could improve its hardness and durability."

"Is that so?" He walked into his quiet corner and pulled out a sheathed sword. He returned and swiftly removed it to reveal a perfectly crafted steel rapier. It glittered modestly under the dim light. "Would you care to put it to the test?"