2 | Trial and Error

⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷《 ✮ 》⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷

"Is this the best you can come up with after a week? Start over," Master Haemon demanded without glancing up from his own task.

"With all due respect, Master Haemon, you haven't even looked at the sword. How can you be so quick to judge it?" Hestia asked, her irritation threatening to boil over. She tightly gripped the sheathed sword in her hand. It was lighter compared to other weapons in the armory, though it was purposefully created in that manner to tailor to speed-based warriors.

He set down his hammer with a loud clang and looked at her with a scowl on his face. He stared at her as if she was nothing, looking completely through her with his speculative gaze.

Hestia didn't think the sword she had crafted was that bad. Considering the fact that she hadn't received formal training prior to this apprenticeship, she thought it was pretty good. Most of the weapons crafted by Aithnean blacksmiths provided devastating destructive power, something that she didn't want to heavily focus on during its crafting.

He shoved a small piece of charcoal in his mouth and started chewing; a disgustingly excruciating crunch sound resonated throughout the forge, making the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She fought back the urge to gag at the sight of him visibly enjoying it.

Charcoal was known to improve one's health by removing all the toxins from a person's body. However, too much of it could cause malnutrition. Though it was disturbingly clear that Master Haemon didn't have a care in the world.

He stalked over grumpily until he was towering over her. He snatched the sword from her hand and looked at it closely. The hilt was ruby encrusted with a silver base. It was sloppily done, but alas, it was better than his last set of recruits. "Where did you get the rubies?"

"My father works in the mines on Ironridge, I borrowed some from his recent excursion."

He unsheathed the sword to reveal a thin metallic blade. He swung at the air a few times to test its strength and durability. "Instead of decorating your work with traitorous jewelry, you should spend more time on the blade itself. Lady Aries has no need for fanciful items. Do it again and without the rubies."

He quickly threw it in the fire before walking out the forge, grumbling.

She reached for the sword, but realized that it was too late. Its composition was already compromised from being exposed to heat yet again. She balled her hands into fists and clenched her teeth, trembling in anger. She stared in the direction of her Master's private rooms with such ferocity, she almost hoped it would start a fire. 'I spent a week on that! I could've removed the rubies, but now I have to start all over. Goddess, do I even have enough time? I'll have to recollect all the materials and that will take a significant amount of time.' She kicked the nearest rock with a huff of frustration.

"I never thought that you would be the one to mess up so badly, Tia," Alastair said with a chuckle, attempting to cheer her up.

However, she didn't see it as such. That sword was the first thing that she managed to complete on her own. Although it wasn't perfect, it was something that she accomplished. She was proud of it and now she had nothing to show for it. She punched him in the arm and snapped, "I don't need this right now, Alastair."

He raised his hands up, feigning surrender. He could tell that he seriously offended her by the way she coldly referred to him by his full name. He rubbed his arm to soothe the impending soreness from the recent blow. "Alright, alright! I'm sorry." His playful smile disappeared as his brows furrowed with seriousness. "You could have been in bigger trouble if Aries decided to visit the forge. Rubies? Really, Tia? You might as well pledge allegiance to Leo in front of our ruler!"