"Along with any hope we had of peace," Scythe said sounding bored, looking expressionlessly down at her nails.

    Jasper turned his attention to her, his eyes filled with an arrogance that wasn't there a night ago, "I saved your life, Scythe. Without me you'd be dead."

    She had to remind them who she was. She wouldn't have them mocking her while she was their leader. Scythe was not like the other campers and they would do well to remember it.

A leader without respect was nothing more than a nuisance.

She tutted with a saccharine smile before her eyes went dark and her smile turned sinister, "I should have left you to the panther."

She didn't mean it of course and it nauseated her to say the words, but in this game of war- fear generated respect. At least that's how it always was done in the Skybox.

Hopefully she could keep them alive long enough for the respect to convert to trust.

    Something in the way her eyes lit up made it impossible for them to break their stare at her. It helped that it was dark outside and her face was illuminated partially by the wicked hues of the crackling fire.

    They stared off for a while before Jasper reluctantly backed away, "Whatever. You don't know anything about this."

    His arrogance was smothering her. He was gloating over death- as if it were nothing. As if it were in the same league as winning a race.

    She raised her eyebrows, "You don't really think you're the only one who's killed someone, did you?"

    Jasper whipped around as fast as lightning and she felt Octavia stiffen next to her.

    "Scythe, what are you talking about?" Octavia whispered in horror, brown eyes wide and mouth agape.

    The truth had to come out sooner or later. Telling them now meant she could control when. She cocked her head to the side, giving Octavia a mockingly innocent glance, "Tav, come on, is this such a surprise?"

    She needed to portray herself as a monster. Jasper had to see what became of murderers. They could think what they wanted about her so long as they stayed out of her way.

    Hurt flashed in her friend's eyes and she stuttered, "I-I thought... I-"

    Scythe rolled her eyes, smirking, "I mean really, what did you think I was locked up for?"

   Octavia had tears in her eyes, but she shook her head, "No. You're just upset because of Abby. I understand what it's like to lose people, Scythe."

    The sinister grin on Scythe's face was wiped off and she narrowed her eyes, "Don't play therapist. You have no idea who I am."

    Octavia bit her lip and tilted her chin up, "I do, actually. You're my friend. It might take some time for you to remember that, but you will."

    Scythe's heart was heavy, so heavy she just wanted to run to Octavia and apologize for being such a heartless coward. But that wasn't going to happen. Was she wrong for trying to emulate the monsters?

    She took a threatening step forwards, but stopped when someone started yelling at the camp border, "Somebody hit the trip wire!"

    Racing as fast as wind, Scythe sprinted over to the delinquents as they clattered about, fumbling with their guns. Everything was silent except for the delinquents and Scythe hushed them.

    They quieted immediately and tried to peer through the dark.

    A rustle.

    "There! There!" A camper roared, aiming his gun and firing.