Formality

It was sunrise by the time Scott finally woke up. I was worried, but Deaton reassured me many times he'd wake soon. He sat up, nearly jumping off the table.

"Welcome back to the land of the consciousness." Deaton says approaching him. Scott seems unsteady, and both Deaton and I put a hand on his chest. "You doing okay?"

"Scott, what happened?" I ask him. Scott blinks a few times and sits back on the table. The same little bell rings from the front, and we hear the door close.

"Hello?" Deaton asks. I'm assuming he wasn't expecting anyone else. Scott and I stay silent, while Deaton walks out to the front. "I'm sorry but we're... We're closed."

"Hi there." I know that voice... It's Peter. "I'm here to pick up."

My eyes grow wide and I look to Scott who places his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not sure I remember you dropping off." Deaton tells him.

"This one wandered in on it's own." Peter says. Scott and I back up, till we're as far as we can get in this room, away from him. Scott's arm around my shoulders.

"Even if it did, I'm afraid I can't help you. We're closed." Deaton tells him again. I faintly hear Peter's footsteps moving closer.

"I think you can make an exception this one time." Peter insists. "Don't you?"

"I'm sorry, that's not going to be possible." Deaton says. "Maybe you could come back during regular hours."

"You have something of mine...I'm here to collect it." Peter says. He's not gonna stop. He'll kill Scott's boss, maybe even Scott. I turn to him, my lips trembling.

I have to go. I mouth the words to him. Scott's eyes widen and he shakes his head, holding me down.

He'll kill you and Deaton! I mouthed to him again. I have to.

Broke free from Scott's grasp and ran right out of the room. Scott was right on my heels, but I made it out of the room.

"There she is." Peter smiles. He moves forward to go past the desk, but stops, looking at the air, then the swinging door. He can't get past it. "Mountain ash..."

"You want me." I said, putting on a brave face. "Here I am."

"Kara, no-" Scott says, moving in front of me.

"You know what's right, don't you Kara?" Peter asks me. "You know that if you hide and cower, the real killers will get to Derek, and Scott."

"You're the real killer." I told him.

"Justified." Peter corrects me. "All of them. You're a Guardian, tell me. You want to protect your friends?"

I didn't answer. He had some kind of leverage, I could tell.

"I'm getting justice for the death of my family, would you do anything different for yours?" He asks, tilting his head slightly.

"Don't listen to him." Scott tells me.

"I go. And no one else gets hurt. Those are my terms." I said.

"You have my word." Peter smirks, bowing his head slightly.

"You're not going with him." Scott says grabbing onto my arm tightly.

"I'm sorry, Scott." I said, tears spilling over my eyes. I tightened my fist, and punched Scott's bandage as hard I could. He grunted, and bent over. Giving me the advantage I needed to break free. If I opened the gate past the desk, Peter would be able to get to them. So I swung my legs over the desk.

"No!" Scott got up and tried to jump over the desk, but was thrown back by the force of the mountain ash barrier.

"Tell my parents I'm sorry." I take one last look at Scott before turning to Peter.

Peter's face transformed, making my breath hitch. I heard Scott screaming, but he couldn't get through. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. They'll be safe. I thought to myself over and over. Scott, Stiles, Derek, my parents, my brother. Everyone. They'll be safe.

They'll be safe.

They'll be safe.

When I felt the painful sting I couldn't stop myself from gasping. My eyes shot open and my hand wrapped around my throat. There wasn't much of a point though, I could feel the blood pouring through the cracks between my fingers.

At first I fell to my knees, then there was nothing I could do to keep the rest of me up. I collapsed to the floor, still gasping for air when I felt the blood oozing from my mouth to the floor. The last thing I saw before everything went black was Scott. His face crumbling in absolute horror as he watched.

I couldn't say for sure, but I swore I felt a tear roll down the side of my face.