Numbness

The morning started off uneventful, or at least as uneventful as the life of a pop idol from Japan could be. Ryo's routine started with a protein drink before physical training. From there he ate a light breakfast while his manager went over his schedule for the day. The time before lunch was spent recording and greeting fans. At lunchtime, Ryo ate in his dressing room while final touches for today's photo shoot were made.

The pop idol found himself looking into the mirror at the facial features which girls fawned over. Of late the sight of his own face reminded him of a matter left unresolved. Ryo's eyes narrowed as his fingers unscrewed the cap of his plastic water bottle before taking a drink in hopes he might brush the thoughts regarding the unresolved business away.

"Ryo!"

The door of the changing room opened in a flourish as his manager stepped in. The young idol looked up wondering why the man came in in such a state.

"Turn on your television."

"You know I won't have any kind of distraction during work hours, particularly right now when my mind is elsewhere."

"I'm currently working on clearing your schedule. Turn on the news."

A frown twisted onto Ryo's face. He set down his water bottle and reached for the remote and turned on the rarely used television. His mind at first didn't register what his mind was seeing and hearing. Eventually, his eyes widened and his mouth opened while his hand holding the remote lowered to his knee. "Takashi..."

Ryo let the news regarding the failed Kerberos mission play out. Takashi Shirogane along with the two other crew members were declared dead, but the reason came down to pilot error. Ryo's eyes opened and closed a few times as his mind contemplated the idea of his older brother, Takashi Shirogane, failing as a pilot. Nothing felt real.

Eventually, he set the remote down with a lack of gusto and reached for his cellphone. "I've got to call Keith."

The cell phone sat in the palm of his hand unused. Ryo swallowed upon remembering the painful memory of his last conversation with his older brother. "I don't care that he's our brother!"

"Ryo, if something happens to me you're all he has. He doesn't have anybody else, but nobody's willing to give him a chance."

"Why should I care? He and I have nothing in common, but you haven't even told him! You haven't told him that we're family, so he wouldn't even know the difference!"

"I told you. Keith found out about my illness. It didn't feel right springing something else on him."

"Screw you Takashi! Screw your illness! Don't pretend to actually care!"

Without realizing it Ryo flipped open his phone. His finger flipped through the pictures until he came to a picture Takashi sent him. The picture was a selfie Takashi took of himself and Keith. Takashi smiled at the camera, but Keith looked at the phone warily. Ryo knew Keith struggled with trusting people; Shiro was one of the few people Keith let into his life, but Shiro was now gone.

A sigh escaped Ryo's mouth. "Could you book a flight while you're clearing up my schedule?"

"Where to?"

"I need to make a trip to Takashi's garrison to see someone." A few hours later Ryo found himself at the garrison greeted by Commander Iverson and given condolences regarding the death of his older brother. The man avoided the subject of the army blaming Takashi for the mission failure almost as if there was something he was hiding, but Ryo found himself not wanting to bring it up. Instead, he focused on Keith.