I Just Want to Go Home

Start from the beginning

"I'm not seeing Steve or Fury." Clint growled as he turned his head away from the inhuman doctor, "and I'm not too crazy about seeing you either."

The doctor sighed. "Barton, we're trying everything to get you back to normal."
He did not seem too hurt about the archer's reaction. The words never phased Lincoln.

"No," Clint snapped his attention back on the doctor, "that's where your wrong, doc! You've tried everything? Ha! Guess you haven't tried erasing the memories of the last God-knows-how-many-weeks I spent as a damn lab rat!"

He must have attempted to get out of bed because the next thing he realized was that Natasha was holding him down against his hospital bed. Daisy had stepped in front of Lincoln, arms out, and prepared to use her powers against the Avenger. Once Lincoln told her everything was fine, she just crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Please..." Natasha's green eyes were glassy. "Please, don't..." She felt Clint's force slacken as he stared into her eyes. He either did not want to fight back or was not able to express the energy to fight back. Natasha had used every last ounce of strength she had left to hold him down. Based on the fresh blood seeping through one of the white bandages on her forearm, she had recently given more blood to save his life.

Clint's breaths were shaky as he searched for proper words. "I just wanna go home, Nat...I-I'm tired..." 

How could she tell him he could not go home? How could she tell him it would not be safe for him to go home? The Black Widow hung her head. "Y-you need to get some rest..."

As soon as Clint let out a small whimper, Natasha gently ran her hand down the side of his face. "C-calm down...you'll be okay..."

Lincoln coughed into his white coat sleeve, catching their attention. "We'll let you two have some time to talk before we get you prepped for your next surgery." He stepped out of the room with Daisy and shut the door before Clint could even think about throwing anything at them. They could hear Daisy complaining about how Clint wasn't even enhanced out in the hallway. Their voices trailed off as they disappeared down the hallway.

"Move over, stupid." Natasha moved some of the wires closer to her best friend before lying down next to him. 

"Nat...really?" Clint held the wires against his abdomen and tried to move over enough for her to have room. "Are you sure you want to be next to me? You said I've been asleep for 16 days...and I know I'm not a sleep walker...so...I haven't showered..."

His friend rolled her eyes. "Clint, you're in a hospital. You were taken care of by several nurses...and me..."

"Nat..." Clint whined because he seemed embarrassed.

She rolled her eyes again and smirked. "Shut up, Barton. It's not the first time I've had to help you clean up. At least this time you didn't break your leg before falling into a full dumpster."

Clint cringed at that memory. He had been fighting three HYDRA agents in an abandoned hospital on the outskirts of New York. Tony had sent him there without backup because it seemed like a basic mission...and 'bird boy loves heights.' It was two weeks after he had his appendix removed in England while on a mission, but he didn't dare allow any of his teammates know. Well...only Natasha knew. He had passed his pre-mission medical exam, but he had failed to mention the fact that he had been experiencing abdominal pain for a few days prior. Natasha was also out on another mission when Tony sent Cint on the hospital mission to deal with HYDRA. What Tony had failed to tell him was that these agents had been trained to specifically take down him.  One was a skilled archer, while the other two were masters in three or four types of martial arts.