01 - Painful Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Charlie will. I'm gonna make dinner for you, have it waiting when you get here. I gotta tell Jacob and the girls later... That's gonna be rough."

Kingsley scoffs just a little. "Yeah, poor you. You've known for a week now that I was coming and you've known I'm alive for the last 17, but no you haven't had time to tell them."

He sighs. "Kingsley, please don't do this now-"

"Whatever." She mutters tiredly as she bites her thumb nail. "I'll see you tomorrow." She mumbles and hang up, throwing the phone beside her before she rests her head on the steering wheel.

-

King checks she has her 2 cases and duffle bag before heading away from the baggage claim and towards the exit; majority of her things will be here in 2 weeks, she paid for extra baggage so she could have most of what will be needed. Her eyes scan around for Charlie, seeing his familiar face poking out of the crowd.

He smiles and stands straight from where he was leaning on his cruiser. "King!" He calls and waves his arms above his head.

She blushes and smiles gently. "Hey uncle Charlie." She says as he pulls her into a hug; she rubs his back with one arm and closes her eyes for a few moments.

He pulls away and holds the girl at arms length. "How you doing kid..."

King forces a smile, the smile she's forced a lot lately. "Momma wouldn't want me to be sad so I'm trying not to be. How've you been?" She says, trying to swiftly move the conversation off her.

"I've been good, sweetheart. Cmon, let's get you home, I bet you're exhausted." He says as he puts the bags in the trunk of his cruiser.

She forces a smile again and climb in the front passanger seat; home isn't here for me, she thinks. King can count the times she's been here - only about 20 or so times in her life - and this isn't home. It never will be because home was with her mom and she's gone, forever.

It's silent for a while as Charlie focuses on the road. She begins to think about the siblings she finally gets to meet; there are the twins, Rachel and Rebecca, who are 23 and then there's Jacob, who's 18. He was only about a year or so when she was born. She has never met them before, and never come close. It's like Billy had spies all over the town who'd tell him the kids where abouts every minute, so if they came near he'd rush her off to Charlie who'd occupy her time.

She leans her head on the window and look at the familiar surroundings as they make it into town, Charlie glancing over at the girl. "Your dad's put a lot of effort into dinner, I hope you're hungry."

She gives a small shrug, her head leant on the window as she gazes out of it. "I guess." She mutters.

He sighs softly. "I know this is hard, kid, but your dad is trying. Just give him a chance okay? Finding out about your mom was a shock for him, and then to find out you had no one to take you... He felt so guilty."

"So I'm only here coz he feels guilty? Sounds par for the course." Kingsley rolls her eyes. "He only ever pays attention when he feels bad."

"You know that isn't true - it's a sticky situation. There was no right or wrong way to handle it."

She just shrugs and doesn't respond, not wanting to partly because she'll likely snap and partly because she wants to hold on to the little excitement she has to see her dad. Its been almost 2 years since she's seen him and last time got cut short because of Jacob, who was meant to be off with friends for the week, came home raging about something.

She begins to recognise the res forestry and sits up a little, knowing its mere minutes until the little red house comes into view. And just as expected, there it is. She unbuckles and open the door before the cruiser has fully stopped, running towards the house as Billy wheels himself out. She bursts into tears and falls into his lap as he wraps his arms around the girl, holding her close.

"Oh my baby, I'm so sorry." He whispers as he holds her in his big, warm arms, kissing her head.

"I missed you." She cries, keeping her arms tightly around his neck.

"Me too, kid. I'm sorry we had to reunite in such sombre circumstances." He soothes, his voice so familiar and comforting. As mad as she may be at him, he's still her dad and he is all she has left. He's the only parent she has left and the one person who wants her. It's a bitter pill to swallow but she does love him - she's truly thankful for him.

"Foods on the table, are you hungry?" He asks gently.

She gives a sniffle and nods, standing from his lap as she wipes eyes on her hoodie sleeve. "Y-Yeah I am." King smiles gently and go to help get the bags.

Charlie waves me off. "Go eat, I got this."

She kisses his cheek and follows Billy inside, going to the small, familiar kitchen. A dish of pasta and a pan of sauce sits on the table with 4 plates - why four? It's just her, him and Char... Oh. She stops dead in her tracks as a tall, tanned man walks into the kitchen slowly. He's dressed in a cut off pair of jeans, some dirty converse and a crumpled t-shirt.

Her big brother. Jacob.

His cold eyes stare at her, and despite being the same as Billy's and hers, they make her feel cold. They're full of what feels almost like hatred. "Um Kingsley, this is Jacob. Jake, this is your sister King-"

"Hello." He says stiffly, not even letting Billy finish.

Kingsley swallows hard. "Hello Jacob. Nice to finally meet you." She manages to say in a small voice.

He scoffs and just sits down, opposite to the chair shes stood behind. Billy motions to the table and slowly she sit down, tucking a loose strand of hair back. I bet I look a mess - travel hair, lazy day clothing and red eyes from crying for basically the last month. Her thoughts ramble as they sit in silence as Charlie comes in.

He sits between Jacob and King on the left while Billy sits between them on the right. "Looks good, bud." He says to Billy as he grabs some spaghetti and then some sauce.

She lets him and Billy go first before motioning to Jacob. He smiles stiffly. "No, after you." He mutters.

"Thanks." She manages to whisper and smile small, grabbing a small amount before handing him the tongs.

"So how was the flight, King?" Billy asks.

She twirls some of the spaghetti on to the fork before shrugging. "It was OK. First one I slept most of, second was too short and there was turbulence."

"You used to hate that." He chuckles.

A blush creaps on to her cheeks. "Still do." She gives a giggle, although it's small.

"So." Jacob says, almost snapping but seeming to stop himself. "Where are you from, Kingsley."

"Columbus, Ohio." She says gently, glancing at him as she eats a little.

"And your mom?"

She takes a shaky breath; she feels Charlie kick Jacob under the table but he doesn't flinch, just stares at her. "Sh-she came from Ohio but lived just outside of Seattle for a while." She says in a whisper, her chest hurting just thinking about her. "She um moved back when she got pregnant with me, so my pops could help out and her friends."

"How lovely." He sneers.

"Do you need to step outside, Jacob?" Billy snaps, slamming his hand down.

Jacob scoffs and pushes away from the table, storming out. King looks at the plate for a moment before gently pushing it away. "I'm.. I'm gonna go to bed. Where am I staying?" She whispers.

"Jacob's old room. I'm sorry-" Billy starts to say.

She just shakes her head and forces a smile again, leaning over to kiss his cheek. "Don't be. Goodnight dad. Night Charlie." King whispers before walking towards Jacob's room. Great. Just great.