Chapter Eighteen

Annabeth Chase

This horrible feeling of dread weighted her down when Percy looked her in the eyes. He knew what she was thinking about and Annabeth felt horrible for even thinking things like that.

'He isn't coming back alive,' Those voices inside her head were reappearing after such a long time of being kept away.

She needed the negative thoughts to go away, the date was nearing and so far they were failing. Annabeth's team was out of a ride to get to Athens, and as far as she knew they could still be in Edessa. In fact, they still were.

"There's no way we can get to Athens. No way." Annabeth muttered herself, but no one could hear her.

"If we start now and get to a town nearby, we might be able to catch a bus or something and hopefully get to Athens by tomorrow." Hazel said, trying to lift the spirits of the group.

Piper interjected, "But where are we? We're in the middle of the woods, stranded in a foreign country!"

"I realize we are completely lost and everything we've done so far has seemed to be a lost cause, but it won't, this fight isn't a lost cause. " Hazel said, she was second guessing herself.

Annabeth knew the truth, this quest was doomed to fail from the very beginning. The Fates had decreed it. The prophecy had been given too soon after the Second Titan War, it was almost a given.

"Three days. Three days until this fight is supposed to happen." Jason said, "We can't afford to rest, lets find the town and get a bus as soon as possible."

"If there are any buses." Frank input, "Gaea's been messing with everything, so there's a good chance there won't be a mortal in Greece. They could've of all went on vacation."

Annabeth sighed, "The chances is that are low, but we better get going. I agree with Jason. Let's go."

Leo nodded, "Alright. Let's move out then!"

It took them until noon the next day to find a single town offering a single usage of transportation. When the seven demigods boarded the bus supposedly taking them to Athens, none were expecting the bus to vacant of any passengers.

"I feel like we shouldn't trust this. I'd feel better if they're were other people on the bus." Piper said, he hand moving towards he hip were she kept her dagger hidden away safely.

Annabeth thought about that now and she realized how odd things were getting. Everyone civilian that had come within fifteen yards of any of the teenagers. She was suspicious of every activity. The townspeople seemed normal most of the time, but a few seemed odd. Most would be a tourist who just didn't really fit in as tourist. They also didn't even seem like normal people. Whatever Gaea was able to use to bend The Mist was working and there was nothing the demigods to do. They couldn't go around slashing their sword thought mortals. Even if the celestial bronze wouldn't hurt them, they'd still think it was strange how a medieval sword didn't cut them in half.

"The 9:00 a.m bus for Athens, Greece will be leaving in ten minutes from the platform." An animatronic voice spoke loud enough outside the bus that Annabeth could hear it clearly.

"The bus leaves in ten minutes. We should get to Athens by noon hopefully." Annabeth sighed, resting her head on the back of the seat.

She yawned, "I'm beat. I think I'll nap until we get there."

She drifted off almost instantly.

She was shook away gently by strong hands.

"Annabeth! Annabeth!" She was groggy and couldn't make sense of anything.

What was going on? She thought to herself. There was something wrong and she was going to find out.

Her eyes snapped open and her mind awoke almost immediately when she heard Percy yell for her, "Annabeth! We really need you about now!"

Her eyes adjusted to her surroundings. Five of the seven were engaged in battle aboard the bus. The driver who was still driving seemed oblivious of what was going on, so Annabeth turned and ignored that. Her friends needed her more now. Right now they were losing...really bad.

Piper was bleeding from the forehead and upper arm. Frank was guarding Annabeth while she woke up and was suffering from a head and nose bleed. Jason was barbecued. He was smoking and his once bleach blonde hair was black. Leo was cradling his left arm which had been twisted at an odd angle. Hazel was unconscious on the floor by Franks feet. Percy was thrown across the bus and collided head first into the window. For a moment Annabeth's heart stopped. She thought he had fallen out of the broken window. The window had cracked and Percy was still in the bus.

Annabeth drew her sword and prepared to attack the monsters. At this point in the fight she wasn't too worried about what the Hades these monsters were. All she knew was that they were putting up one hell of a fight and she was prepared to kill every last one of them.

She charged head on into the fight without a plan in tow. That, happened to be very out of character for a child of Athena. In fact she was almost embarrassed by her actions. Alas, she did so anyways.

The drakon bone sword made a clean swoosh through the air as she spun to attack the monster. Her sword missed completely when the monster moved lightning fast to the back of her. It collided head on with her, making contact with her gut. The air was knocked out of her in an instant and she laid, sprawled out on the ground. Her head spun and her breathing was labored as Annabeth tried catching her breath.

"Annabeth!" Percy yelled as he saw her struggling on the ground. He was engaged in a fight of his own again and had no opportunity to aid Annabeth at the moment.

"I'm fine!" She called again. Her head was still spinning and her ribs ached, a few had to be broken and there was no denying it.

"Argh!" Jason grunted as he was electrocuted by the monster he was facing. The lightning burned his skin and clothes further, darkening him more then humanly possible.

Her opposer grinned and toothy grin and attacked again, faster then the first time. It brought out its arm and released its long sharp looking claws. Unknowingly, she screamed. Annabeth brought her arm up to cover her face and eternal organs from the claws, and it worked. She didn't get hurt from it at all, but someone more important did.

Percy jumped in front of the claws and took the blow fully. The monster caught his chest and scraped him. The sound of his flesh ripping was too profound to ignore. Everyone stopped on the bus, even the monsters. Percy's body went flying as the monster hit him. He hit the broken window, this time it shattered and he went flying though it.

"Percy!" Annabeth screamed in distress as she saw him crash though the window.

A dark shadow loomed over her and all Annabeth could do was stand there and watch as she prepared for her death.

-------------------

The chapter is just a little shorter then usual, but I hope it was worth it.

Lol don't kill me the only reason this chapter is up because of @BryanNgoKarHoe so thank you for motivating me today!

Your comments and votes mean the world to me. 👻

HAPPY EARLY HALLOWEEN