Chapter Six

Annabeth Chase

She found it pretty hard to concentrate on anything with the constant voices prickling at her in the back of her mind. The side effects from Tartarus were finally kicking in, and they were horrible. Annabeth knew that no ordinary cup of nectar would heal her mind or if any god could and it wasn't like they would. She knew that what had happened in Tartarus was sticking with her until she grew out of it, which was highly unlikely that it ever would.

"You're weak Annabeth Chase. You know you are." The first voice pestered her. She grimaced slightly trying to kick it out the best she could, but it seemed immortally implanted into her brain.

"Annabeth! Are you okay, you look like you're going to faint." Percy asked as worry lines formed on his face as he rested his hands in her shoulders.

"I'm fine." She brushed his hands off of her shoulders and smiled the best she could. She was determined not to show weakness in front of him. Annabeth was a strong girl, and she wasn't afraid to show it.

"No you're not." The voice began to growl at her as she tried to recover herself from the last attack from them.

"You sure? You just did it again." Percy brought Annabeth into a tight hug and squeezed her gently.

She broke down, crying into his shoulder. It was unlike Annabeth for her to show herself at this weak point, but she did and only for Percy.

"It's going to be fine. You'll be fine. I'll be sure of it." He spoke with such gentleness in his voice. All Annabeth wanted to right now was curl up in a ball and cry, but Percy, her life line kept her from doing so.

She dried her eyes, pulling away from Percy and kissing him gently on the cheek.

"He doesn't love you." They began again, this time hitting her hard. She grimaced slightly as the voices repeated it over and over again, "He doesn't love you, he doesn't love you!" They were teasing her at this point in the cruelest of ways.

Annabeth wanted to scream and yell at them, but she knew that they were just in her head. She pushed them away, out of her mind and into the darkest corner of her brain. 'Out of sight, out of mind' she told herself as the voices' chanting faded.

"You love me, don't you?" Annabeth asked Percy, her eyes glistening with tears.

"Forever and always, Annabeth." Percy told her kissing her gently, before taking her hand.

She leaned against the rails of the deck, watching the noon sun shimmer through the green leaved trees. The view of where the Argo II was parked at was amazing, and truly Greece was amazing. Hills rolled across valleys and tall mountains littered with snow glistened in the low sun.

"How much longer until we leave Frank and Hazel behind?" Percy asked her, frowning greatly.

She could tell by the look he was getting in his eyes that his fatal flaw was kicking in.

"If anything happens to them, it'll be my fault." Percy said, not making eye contact with Annabeth, but with a moving figure on the horizon.

"Tomorrow morning, but we truly need them to come back with the jewel so we can get the item from Ceto." Annabeth stated while her eyes narrowed in on the masked figure closing in on the Argo II.

"What is that?" Percy asked, as the thing began climbing on the Argo's walls.

Annabeth watched as Percy began to draw his sword. She placed a hand on his wrist, and beckoned for him to keep it in its pen form.

"You asked who I was young demigod?" The masked man stated, cocking his head to the side slightly, while withdrawing his sword.

Annabeth took the drakon bone sword from off her back; she hand began to favor the longer weapon rather than the makeshift knife she found on the Argo. Although she missed the knife that had killed Luke, she didn't mind having something new to use. It was different, but fairly weighted.