Chapter Seventeen

Ashley/Laura's POV

It was an interesting morning to say the least.  David who seemed to cool and collected at the interview was sort of checked out this morning.  It started the minute I got there, when I pulled up and he just sort of stared at me, which I am not complaining about because it gives me all these butterflies in my stomach, but I am one hundred percent sure the feelings are only one way after seeing a picture of his absolutely beautiful wife.  Which is fine, I don't normally get a lot of second glances anyway, I will become used to him and we will work together fine.  But he seemed jumpy this morning.  After I met his kids and we were on our way to the school's Jackson opted to ride with me because he didn't want to talk to David about something, and by the looks of the heated conversation they were having David said it was fine, he probably didn't want to talk to him either. The school's were about a twenty minute drive from the house, not bad.  About halfway through the drive I tried to make conversation with Jackson, I really wanted him to know that I'm just going to be here if he needs anything and nothing more.  Feed him, help with his laundry - but that's something he is going to be doing very quickly - and help with his schoolwork. 
"Hey, so what classes to do you have today." I say casually. I get no response from him, he just stares straight out the window.
"Do you have tough classes this semester?" I ask again. And nothing. I know he play's basketball or likes it because he has a gym bag with a ball on the side.
"Do you have a basketball practice after school I should know about?" I ask, this time a little more on the air of, if you make me come early to pick you up and you're not ready I won't be happy tone.  He turns his head and looks at me, he waits a beat before he says anything.
"Yes." Is all he says.
"Ah, so you do speak. I was beginning to think you were deaf and I had to learn sign language." He rolls his eyes but there is a small smile on his face.
"So basketball eh.  What position do you play?" He looks at me and I look at him, I give him a quick once over, he's pretty tall, but not too big.
"Not post, maybe a three?" And his eyes go a little wider, like who the heck is this woman and what does she know about basketball.
"Uh, yeah actually, I can play a one, two or three depending on who needs a break first." He tells me. I was surprised he gave me that much.
"So you're a sixth man then?" I ask. Which is not a bad thing, but everyone wants to be a starter.
"No." He says quietly, "more a seven or eight." He sighs and looks out the side window.
"Well how come? Are these boys that start or go in before you that much better than you? What can you do to better your game and move up? Have you talked to your coach?" He looks back and me and that surprised look on his face is making me smile a lot, its comical actually.
"I'm close I think. I get really nervous when I go out there, I'm afraid that if I make once mistake he'll pull me off. And the other guys on the team have special trainers they work with that help them with their individual game.  We can't afford it.  Or at least that's what David says. But we can hire you so I guess you're where that money is going." I take a minute to process, that must have been what they were going on about this morning.  Sort of a selfish take on the situation from his part, but I can see that he is holding onto something he loves right now, his life has recently been turned upside down.  I don't want to bring any of Laura's life into Ashley's life but I feel for this kid. Helping is in my nature, and basketball is in my blood.  If it were any other sport I would leave it alone, but I know I can help him.
"Tell you what, how about after practice today, after we have dinner, we go out to the court and you show me what you've got. Maybe I can help you. Then it's like your uncle is paying for a trainer for you." He laughs at me and rolls his eyes, 
"You, what could you possibly do to help me." Now he is really looking at me and taking me in. Yes I have gained weight since I played in university, having an injury will do that to you, but I am not incapable, and I didn't injure my brain.
"I guess we will find out, won't we. What do you have to lose?" I challenge. I can see how competitive he is and I know he won't back down. He laughs and now has a big grin on his face and I am happy that I put it there. I can see some similarities he shares with his uncle and its nice to see.
"You're on." He says, and as we finish this conversation we are pulling up to the kids school and he jumps out, 
"I normally walk from here, it's only just down the block. I'll see you after practice." He smiles and waves to me. I can see David in my peripheral vision coming up to me.
"What did you say to that kid to get him to smile and wave at you like that?" I laugh, 
"I challenged him to a game of one on one after dinner." David laughs and I squint into the sun and look at him.
"Why on earth would you do that, he'll cream you." And he is still laughing. Oh the looks they will have on their faces when the tables turn. I can't wait.
"Maybe, maybe not. We'll see." I say and walk over to his car to get the kids.