III. Unlikely Neighbors

Mind Waves

Chapter 3: Unlikely Neighbors

By TheBirdWhoCannotFly

Jackson's POV

That was weird. The person who lived across the street seemed familiar. Who was that? Why did he run? Does he know me?

More unanswered questions filtered through my brain as I breathed out a puff of smoke. The way the nicotine pushed my vanes was an unforgettable knock to my pride. I glared at the cancer stick in between my fingers. I'd quit; so why was I doing this right now?

A stressful day at school was the root if my problem. The skull-splitting headache was one thing, but...

The mirror...

What the hell was that? How did I do it? Did I even do it?

That was a dumb question; of course I didn't. I didn't even touch the damn thing! It just cracked.

Then there was Mr. Florence's chair... I didn't do that either. I mean, I wanted to. But I didn't.

I didn't do anything!

I groaned, throwing the cigarette on the concrete and stomping it out. Quietly, I slipped inside. Almost passing the dark living room where Dad was unconscious with a plethora of beer bottles surrounding his feet, I tried guessing how many were there. I didn't know, I quit counting long ago once I realized the number of them would never leave me satisfied. I entered the room, stopping to look at my fathers open mouthed slumber. Deep snores emanated from the gape in his face while the flicker of the television reflected off of his glasses.

I picked up all of the bottles and threw them in the recycling bin outside. I wonder what the garbage people think of us when they take the recycling bin, since ninety-five percent of it is filled with beer bottles every time.

I turned off the tv and threw a blanket over my still sleeping father.

A yawn interrupted me as I trekked upstairs to my bedroom. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

My dreams were weird that night and that's all I knew about them when I woke up.

*****

Dakota's POV

I slid into my seat just before the late bell rang, making Mr. Florence give me a look I didn't quite understand. I never understood most of the things Mr. Florence did or said. I did know he hated me, for whatever reason. Could it be because I'm horrible at school? I try, but it's just so hard. Voto is already tutoring me in math because really I can't walk into that class room without being confused how the fucking door works, let alone the Pythagorean Theorem. My mind just shuts down at the mention of math.

Why did I want to look behind me? Slowly, I tilted my head to see what had my attention when I knew immediately what it was. Rather, who was more like it.

My eyes landed on a pair of candy apple green eyes. They were staring at me intently, calculating every move I made. I gulped and they moved down to my neck. Finally, I found the ability to turn around and act like that just didn't happen. I couldn't seem to forget about Jackson and he seemed to show an interest in me as well.

That was bad. I was going to ignore him, right? Yeah, I could still do that. It's not like we just jumped from our seats and greeted each other with a three ring circus.

"Okay, everyone. Today, we're starting a project. you have to pick from a list what your project will consist of. There are a lot of options. You'll be doing this with a partner, against my better judgment, of your choice. I won't be giving you guys time to work on this in class so you guys will need to work something out for outside of school." He gave us another fake smile. "Get to it."