Chapter 7 Meilani

Start from the beginning

"But Chantel, I need to borrow your car!"

"I said no, and why are you dressed like that?"

"You like? This is my virgin look."

She eyed me strangely, before releasing a loud laugh, that insulted me. "You haven't been a virgin since elementary."

"Well as long as I went without dick, I might as well be. This is how I catch men."

"You're twenty-seven years old, catch a job."

Chantel never spared me, but I figured that I'd suck it up until she gave me her keys.

"Very funny, it will only take me a minute, Chantel."

"What are you trying to do?"

"Don't worry about it, just know the sooner you give me those keys, the sooner I can get out of your house and into my own place."

She felt around the sheets, before finding the keys and tossing them to me. "Enjoy yourself."

       It was midafternoon, but seemed early. Chantel's car rode smooth but that didn't stop me from my desperate attempt. Pulling up outside of the club I knew Rock owned, I slithered out of the car. Lucky for me, Marcus was already outside, conversing with his uncle, while a few others stood around, like they were waiting on something. I didn't even have to go inside.

"What you doing here, Meilani?" He asked, glaring at me strangely.

"I was wondering if you wanted to look at Chantel's car. I was on my way to the library and noticed that it was having a few problems. I knew you were close, so I stopped here."

I spoke loud and innocently enough to put on the sweetheart act. Men would be falling at my feet as soon as I looked their way.

"The library?" His face twisted up, not buying my lie.

"Just check on the damn car!"

Snatching the keys out of my hand, Marcus headed towards the curb while I stood next to Rock and another unfamiliar person. His tall frame was shadowing mine as I took in his appearance, fair skin, medium build,  neat haircut and goatee. I noticed a small scar on the left side of his jaw and another on his neck and wondered how they got there. Clearing my throat purposely, I called to Marcus. "You see anything wrong?"

That caused him to glance in my direction for the first time, as I looked at him through my peripheral vision. Marcus slammed the hood, while heading back to me. "Everything looks good."

"Maybe it was me." I shrugged, grabbing the keys from him.

"Yeah, now get to the library."

"Uh, don't be rude Marcus. Introduce me to your friend."

"Who? Shaheem?"

I bucked my eyes with irritation.

"Shaheem, this is Meilani, Chantel's cousin."

"What's up?" He asked, looking around Marcus to see me. His voice was deep as it trailed to me, making my knees weak.

"Sha-heem." I pronounced his name to myself. "What kind of name is that?" I asked, curiously, eyeing him hungrily.

"Muslim, meaning intelligent. What kind of name is Meilani?" He shot back, waiting for an answer.

"Ghetto,  meaning ghetto."

He smirked at response before Rock intervened. "Sorry to break up this love connection, but you have to leave, Ms.Ghetto. I'm expecting a delivery and I don't need you in the way."

I didn't know what kind of street terminology he was using, but I knew to get my ass away, especially away from this side of town. I did a double take at Shahim, before getting in to the car and speeding off.

       "I found my potential man." I smiled, slumping onto the bed, where Chantel laid, peeking through a magazine.

"Which dress should I wear? This one, or this one?"

"Chantel, did you hear me?"

"No, what?" She turned on her back, facing me.

"Shaheem."

"Marcus' Shaheem?"

"Yes."

"What about him?"

"I have to have him."

"That's nothing but trouble, Meilani. Stay away."

"How would you know?"

"How would you not? He's bad news. Too invested in the streets."

"What is Marcus? A saint?" I laughed at the thought, while she mugged me.

"No, but Shahim is far from it. He'll turn your hoe ass out, especially when he realizes this act you're putting on. What did you talk about anyway?"

"He asked what kind of name was Meilani."

"And?"

"That's it... that was all.."

She sat up, crossing her arms and trying not to laugh. "Wait, you come in here with soaked panties and he only asked your name? Meilani what the hell is wrong with you?"

"I liked what I saw, so I'm going to get it. Shoot, I want someone to spoil me and put a ring in my finger. With this act, I'm sure it'll happen."

"Not with him. Acting all sweet and shy won't make him look at you any differently from the rest. Now, help me find a dress."

It bothered me that Kaidyn was going to be the maid of honor. I've known Chantel since birth and was family. The fact that Chantel had made the decision so easily upset me. Hell, I was the one by her side for the past seven years, and bridesmaid was all I got?

"Chantel, why didn't you chose me?"

        Thanks for reading! Comment and Vote!