Chapter 35

5 Months Later

"Remind me why I left Italy," you said as you plopped down on the couch next to Ben. He chuckled as he told you, "Because you have four children and a husband who missed you dearly. You know, I wouldn't have blamed you if you stayed. Actually, I might have joined you."

You leaned your head on his shoulder and said, "She's more hormonal than I ever was. Although, she is about ready to pop. That's always the worst phase. You know what, let's fake our deaths and move to Italy." Ben let out a bellowing laugh. 

"Oh, baby, don't tease me like that," he told you. "No, it'll all be fine. Although, if I have to deal with one more false contraction at two in the bloody morning, I might fall asleep at the wheel taking her to the hospital."

You giggled, sleep nearly taking a toll on your tired body. "You sound like my dad," you sleepily mumbled. Ben chuckled and nodded, but then started to think for a minute. "Wait," he said, "your dad?" You nodded, but then shot open your eyes as to what you just said. He continued, "Your dad wasn't here for all of that..."

Sitting up a bit, you cleared your throat and told him, "I meant to say, you sound like typical dad." He looked at you oddly. "A typical dad who's teenage daughter is pregnant out of wedlock?" He asked. "How so?" You audibly gulped. "Darling, you're shaking," he pointed out.

Before he could take ahold of your trembling hands, you stood up and announced, "I'm going to bed. Wake me up if she has another contraction." He only nodded, then watched as you went upstairs. All you could think as you shut the bedroom door was, That was a close one.

Em ended up not having anymore false contractions that night, much to your's and Ben's relief. You got to sleep in, but not for too long. Nate was leaving for school in California next week and you still needed to take him out to shop for some new clothes. Seeing as he's only been to California when he was child, he didn't know how to prepare. 

"Shorts because it's still really hot there," you told him as you handed him seven pairs of shorts. "Sleeveless shirts if you want, jeans for when it gets colder, but that won't be until around December. You can either pick out a bathing suit here, or when you get there. Honestly, they might have better choices there."

He only watched and listened and tried on the clothes you told him to. He picked out some things he liked and tried those on as well. "Mom, you don't have pay for all of this," he told you as you handed the cashier your credit card. "Please," you said, "this may be the last time I get to do this with my baby boy."

He thanked you with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. When you got home, Ben and Em were relaxing on the couch and watching some T.V. "Successful shopping day?" Ben asked as he hopped up from the couch and gave you a kiss. "Yep," you sighed. "I can't believe our baby is moving across the world."

"Yeah, things are happening way too fast," he told you. "Why don't we go out so we can take our minds off it? Just you and me." You smiled as you told him, "That sounds nice, actually. Let's do it." He led you both upstairs so you could get ready. 

Em expressed her worries about having more false contractions while you were gone, but you assured you were just going to be down the street. "If you have an contractions, just call and we'll be here in two minutes. You'll be fine, sweetie, we're just going to be out for a couple hours."

After you left, Nate started to get ready to leave. "Where are you going?" She asked. He looked at her oddly, then said, "Out. With Paige. I'm leaving next week, so we're trying to spend as much time as we can together. Truth be told, I might break up with her. I don't think we'll be able to do this long distance thing."

Normally, Em would console her brother, offer advice or even comfort him, but she wasn't herself. Not for the past nine months, anyways. "What'll happen if I go into labor? You're the last one I can count on!" He laughed as he told her, "Come on, Em, relax. You're not due until next week and like mom said, they're two minutes away. Just have Conner call them if you can't."

Great, not she had to rely on her eleven year old brother. 

Once he was gone, she felt more alone than she has in quite some time, even with Conner just upstairs. Deciding she should actually calm down and relax, she turned on the T.V. and wrapped herself in a blanket. Just as she was getting comfy, there was a knock on the door. 

"Conner!" She called. "Can you get that?" He didn't respond and she didn't hear any footsteps coming down the stairs. "Conner, please!" Still nothing. With a loud grunt, she hauled herself up and hobbled over to the door. When she opened it, she nearly stumbled back from shock. 

This was not who she was expecting to see tonight or...ever again. "What...what are you doing here?" This person's eyes weren't looking at her, but were rather glued to her stomach. "I asked you a question!" She practically shouted, making them jump. They seemed to be stunned silent. 

"Please," she begged, "tell me what you're doing here. Please, Chris."