Chapter 8

You and Ben had a long day. A long day. It's been constant running around, sweating, working in the rain. It's been brutal and endless. All you two wanted to do was get home and sleep for weeks. Luckily, you both had the weekend off. You planned to do absolutely nothing. 

The moment you walked through the door, Conner attacked you in a hug. You lifted him and hugged him close. "I missed you, mom!" He said. You smiled weakly and said, "I missed you, too, honey. Have you eaten?"

He shook his head, which meant you had to sort out dinner. Ben sighed heavily and said, "I told Nate to order you guys something. Nate!" He was not in the mood for any shit at the moment. He needed everything to be done and done the way he wanted it. 

"Nate, I told you to take care of--!" He stopped when Nate ran up to him. "Dad, I've been trying to call you!" Ben put his hand on his son's shoulder with a worried expression on his face. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Are you hurt? Where are your sisters?"

Nate was clutching his phone in his hand as he said, "I tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen! She wanted to go out with Tanner, but I told her that I'd call you if she did. She went into her room and when I went to ask her if she wanted pizza, she was gone and her window was open!"

Ben immediately cursed his phone for dying! He was built up with so much rage, he didn't know what to do with himself! "You've got to be fucking kidding me!" He shouted. He snatched Nate's phone and called Em. 

"What, Nate?" She answered with a snooty tone. "Emma Rose Cumberbatch, you get your arse home right. Now!" You walked into the room to see him breathing heavily through his nose. He didn't even get a response, but Em hung up. 

That didn't settle well with him. 

He gave Nate back his phone before he could throw it at the wall and said, "You keep calling her, you understand me? Did she mention anything about where she was going?" Nate shook his head, then said, "Only that it was a party. She expected me not to tell you, but...dad, her tank wasn't full. I know because I checked and she didn't change it out." 

You put your hand on Ben's back. "What are we going to do?" You asked. Ben ran his hand down his face. "She has to come home," he said. "She has to come back to change the tank. When she does, I am barricading her in her room!" 

**

It was around midnight when Ben heard the door open from where he was laying on the couch. For as tired as he was, he couldn't sleep. His eyes have been drooping for the past several hours, but he refused to let them get the best of him. 

The moment, he heard the wheel from her tank get through the door, he shot up from the couch, turned on the lights and watched her horrified expression as he walked quickly towards her. "You must be out of your bloody mind!" He shouted. 

Em clearly was not expecting this surprise and started backing away from him. Ben continued, "It is literally the only explanation I can come up with as to why you are doing this! I told you to stay away from that boy, Emma!"

She clutched on to the handle of her tank and said, "I can do whatever I want!" Ben raised his eyebrows at her and started to laugh. "Oh, you are in such big trouble, young lady," he laughed. "Don't ever talk to me like that again. Go up to your room. You are grounded until further notice."

She scoffed and stomped her foot down. "That's not fair!" She shouted. Ben pointed a stern finger to her room and shouted, "Upstairs! Now!" She grunted and growled, as she hauled her tank up the stairs, while you were coming down to see what was going on.

Ben was pacing the bottom of the stairs, running his hands through his hair. You jumped a little when Em slammed her door shut, then went down to Ben. "Hey," you softly said, taking him by the shoulders.