Chapter 11

Ben hasn't been able to get a wink of sleep. You and Nate had fallen asleep a while ago, each of you on either side of his shoulders. He wanted to join you, but he just couldn't get his mind off of the past several hours. He's been up since 3 a.m.

It is now 3 p.m.

Em's been in surgery for five hours already, but it seems like it's been forever. He didn't want to get up and check her status because he would wake you both if he did. Luckily, a very kind nurse would come over and quietly tell him she was doing fine. 

It was about three hours later when the surgeon came over. Of course, that was when Ben was just about to pass out from exhaustion, but he gently woke you and Nate, then went over to the surgeon. You and Nate quickly followed. 

"She's going to be fine," was the first thing he told you and you immediately hugged Ben. He continued, "I'm afraid there is some bad news, though." Ben wrapped his arms around you and Nate, then asked, "What is it?"

After a deep breath, they were told, "Her kidney failed during the surgery. It was most likely from the alcohol consumption. We didn't take it out, she doesn't need a transplant, but we have her on a kidney dialyses. We'll see how it goes from there, but she'll need to be on it for a while. We'll give you a portable one to take home."

Ben nodded and hugged you and Nate close to him. "When can we see her?" Nate asked with tears in his eyes. Ben put his hand in his son's hair and kissed his head. "She's being transferred into her room, you can go and see her as soon as her nurse comes to get you."

You weren't sure how you should be feeling right now. Relieved that your daughter was okay? Afraid because her kidney failed? Angry because of the events that led up to this? It was just too much to take in. 

And as if things couldn't get any worse...Tanner walked into the waiting room. Ben saw him first, and then Nate. "Dad," he said. "Dad, don't." He knew exactly what Ben was going to do and so did you. You tried to say something, but he was deaf to everything around him and seeing red. 

You took a hold of his arm, but he harshly shrugged you off and shoved Nate away when he tried to stop him from charging over to Tanner. "You....you son of a bitch!" He shouted. Tanner looked over and quickly started backing away. 

Unfortunately for him...he backed into a wall. 

Ben roughly grabbed the lapels of his jacket and pushed him further up the wall. "You stay away from my daughter," he growled in his face. "I swear to God if you don't--." He scoffed and asked, "You'll what? Hit me? Then you'll go to jail, asshole."

Nate took his dad's shoulder and said, "Come on, dad, before someone starts filming this." He was right and Ben knew it. In a few minutes, someone will recognize him and record him threatening a kid.

He let go of Tanner, then backed away. "Get the fuck out of here," he told him. "You gave her alcohol when you knew she couldn't have any, you defiled her and you broke her heart. I can get you arrested for giving her alcohol, asshole."

That seemed to catch Tanner's attention, as he started back more towards the door. "Dad, the nurse just told mom that Em's in her room," Nate said. "She said she's asking for you." Ben was glaring at Tanner, but nodded. 

Nate put his arm around him and turned them away from Tanner to go to Em's room. "Guess I did good!" Tanner called, but Nate and Ben ignored him. "I get to say I fucked Sherlock's daughter!" Nate was the one that stopped and Ben had to push him to keep walking. 

"Can I tell the press what she enjoyed about it?" Tanner continued. "What she said to me during? What I did to her? Heart condition my ass!" That was it for both Ben and Nate. They both sharply turned to Tanner and Ben was going to shout some obscene things, all cameras be damned!

But Nate had a different plan. 

As soon as Ben saw him walking quickly at the prick, he shouted, "Nathaniel, don't!" But it was too late. Nate socked Tanner in the nose, causing his head to smack back against the wall. Tanner put his hands up to his already bloody nose and fell to the floor in pain.

"Yeah," Nate said, "come near my sister again and I'll give you a lot worse. My dad may not be able to do anything to you, but I can. Asshole." He was suddenly pulled away by Ben and was quickly rushed out of the room. 

He had to practically drag him out because he was running on so much rage. "He did this to her!" He kept shouting, but Ben managed to get him into a private hallway. "Calm down, calm down," he urged, as he brought Nate into a tight hug. 

He shushed him and let him cry out his frustration. "Oh, my boy," he sighed. "My beautiful boy. I knew you two were going to be trouble the moment you started kicking in your mum's stomach. You did it constantly and it was always at the same time, never one or the other. I don't think we loved anything more than feeling you two do that. I knew you two would be trouble, but I knew you would be strong, too."

He kissed his head for a long moment, then said, "I love that you protect her, Nate. I love that you gave that fucker what he deserved, but just be prepared for that to be trending tomorrow."

After getting him calm and having him clean up a little bit, they both went into Em's room. You were sitting in a chair next to her and softly talking. She was awake, but barely. Nate rushed over and went to the opposite side of her. 

Ben leaned against the doorway and rested his head on the door jam. He let out a deep breath and watched Em give her brother a weak and tired smile. Nate spoke to her a little bit, but Ben couldn't hear what about. All he knew is it was making her smile. 

After a few moments, Em softly asked, "Where is he?" Nate looked over to Ben and Em's eyes followed. "Daddy," she said with a small smile. He smiled back at her and walked over. "Hey, sweet pea," he said, as he sat down on the bed behind you. "How are you feeling?"

She gave a small shrug and said, "Okay I guess. I feel...weird." You gave her hand a squeeze and said, "You're probably going to feel that way for a while, especially because of your kidney. But don't worry, we're all here for you, sweetie."

You and Nate held on to her hands and Ben put his on top of her covered knee. "We love you, sweetheart," he said. "We're all here for you."