³⁰, BRIBE DONUTS

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘. . . 𝘉𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘦 𝘋𝘰𝘯𝘶𝘵𝘴
❝ I'm kidding! I know I have a pretty face but there are some brains up here. ❞

  JESS FOUND COMFORT on Charlie Gilmore's bedroom floor. She was in the middle of trigonometry homework, papers scattered across her patterned bedspread as she rubbed her forehead, and the boy was stretched out across her floor boredly.

  "Are you almost done?"

  "Asking doesn't speed me up," Charlie grumbled, and when her pencil tip snapped she angrily flopped backward onto her bed. Making Jess sit up and stare at her.

  "What's wrong?"

  "I'm an idiot."

  "We both know that's not true," Jess sighed, heaving himself up and taking a seat beside the girl. He inspected the work, allowing Charlie to draw shapes on his lower back carelessly. "This stuff is easy."

  "Maybe to you," She sighed, "I just memorize things from textbooks, and my brain is so full of other things that I can't do this."

  "Okay. . ." Jess shuffled the work into a pile, stretching out to set it on her desk chair, "So then let's clear your head."

  "I have to finish my homework."

  "That's not what I mean," Jess rolled his eyes, "Something's up with you recently, and obviously I'm not just imagining it."

  Charlie frowned, shuffling so she was laying on her back with her head at the foot of her bed. Her fingers still making themselves busy on Jess' loose clothing, but this time he could see her face.

  "You know you can talk to me about anything."

  "Not knowing where we stand scares me," Charlie admitted quietly after a minute, not daring to look up after the words left her mouth, "It's stupid, I know—"

  "It's not stupid." Charlie's hands were suddenly still, captured in Jess'. "I'm not good with this sort of stuff, you know that. But, you mean a lot to me."

  "I'd hope so."

  Jess lightly nudged her with a small smirk, "I'm just trying to say I don't like not knowing either."

  "So. . ." Charlie looked up finally, "What does that mean?"

  "It means I don't want to be just another Liam," Jess spoke in a soft voice reserved strictly for Charlotte Gilmore.

  "Trust me, you couldn't be further from Liam," Charlie breathed out, "This isn't going to be a cheesy moment is it?"

  "Thought you liked cheesy moments, Gilmore."