²⁸, SERENADED AND BETRAYED

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. . . 𝘚𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘉𝘦𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘥
❝ No, because being a sister should come before anything else. ❞

  JESS MARIANO AND Luke Danes hadn't ever been scared of Charlie Gilmore. Then again, it was a rare sight for the oldest Gilmore daughter to get that angry that quickly.

  "Charlie—"

  "It's not okay!" The girl paced around the under-construction apartment, two sets of eyes following her, "How could they just flake out on you, that is not okay!"

  "It's wrong, but—"

  "But nothing, it's completely screwed up!"

  "Jess."

  "Yeah."

  Charlie complained the entire time Jess tugged her out of Luke's, she was still seeing red by the time they hit pavement.

  "Charlie, you've got to calm down."

  "Luke doesn't care about anything ever, and the one time he tries no one else does! And it's all for his Dad, we both know Luke wouldn't care if this wasn't what his Dad wanted—"

  "I know," Jess grabbed her hand, "I know, alright? But we'll be there."

  "We?"

  "Told you I'd follow you anywhere, didn't I?"

  Charlie couldn't help but smile, and this time she was leading Jess. The music store was nearly entirely desolate, and it only made Charlie's mood boost that much more.

  "Are you ready to be serenaded?" Charlie grinned, picking up a guitar and dramatically strumming it.

  "Nope."

  "Too bad." The girl shrugged, tugging a plastic chair across from the one Jess had taken a seat in.

  "Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?" This time, Charlie was far less nervous about singing in front of the Mariano boy, "I'm getting old, and I need something to rely on. So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin."

  Jess Mariano thought he could listen to Charlie talk about nothing for hours. He could simply sit in her company for days and pretend to laugh at her jokes for weeks. But one thing he knew very clearly; He could listen to her sing forever.

  "And if you have a minute, why don't we go talk about it somewhere only we know." A smile tugged at Charlie's lips as she focused her eyes on the instrument, "This could be the end of everything so why don't we go? So why don't we go?"