²⁹, PICASSOS WITH DALI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄. . .
❝ Gorgeous, stunning, honestly Dali has nothing on you.❞

  CHARLIE AND JESS stood off to the side as Loui Danes' coffin was lowered into the ground. It had been that way for about a week now, where Charlie wasn't found without Jess and it was a rarity for the girl to even give her two cents.

  "That ain't me, is it?"

  "What are you talking about?"

  "What Taylor said about me being like Louie. A loner, never being married and stuff. I mean, I am getting crankier as I get older."

  "You're not a loner," Charlie sighed, sidling up to the man. Luke hid his surprise as she leaned her head on his shoulder, "You have that whole other life, remember?"

  Luke gave a sarcastic laugh.

  "I know it doesn't mean much," Charlie spoke softly, under her mother's curious gaze, "But we're two peas in a pod. That's not something that goes away very easily."

  "No," Luke smiled, "It's not."

  Charlie glanced at Jess, who'd actually put effort into his outfit. Or, Charlie had put effort into making sure Jess wore a button-up and actually tucked it in. The boy tapped his watch, making her roll her eyes lightly.

  "We have to go."

  "What happened to two peas in a pod?"

  "You aren't dead yet!" Charlie and Jess were already hurrying away from the graveyard, "I can still be mean until then!"

  Luke's Diner was bustling with dark-clothed people who'd brought homemade food. Everyone was chatting happily, it was one of the rare moments that the townspeople felt more like family than anything else.

  Charlie and Jess were happily piling food onto their plates, the latter questioning how she managed to balance so much on such a small plate.

  "It's one of my many talents."

  "Like a Picasso of mac 'n' cheese?"

  "I appreciate you using a well-known artist."

  "I mean, if you're going to do it you've gotta go big."

  "Nice spread." Charlie didn't even turn at the sound of Rory's voice, all too concerned with balancing a roll on the side of her plate. "You did a good thing."