Chapter 19

The last thing that Jennie was expecting on the following Monday morning was a phone call from Jongin. She figured that the strange antics of the Friday night would have scared him away completely. Jongin had always been very good at proving her wrong when she made assumptions, however, and this time was no exception.

So, he was coming around to dinner on Monday. Jennie should have been working, but her boss had called her from home the previous evening and told her not to come in.

Somehow, she was being paid for the day anyway. Jennie suspected that it had been the look on her boss's face when she had said goodnight on Friday which was making her nervous, more than anything.

She couldn't afford to lose her job. It was only a few weeks till she was on maternity leave anyway, but she needed to stick it out.

Still, it gave her all day Monday to do some planning. She was glad that Jisoo would be home before Jongin  arrived because it would make things easier to explain.

When she came through the door, Jennie was in the kitchen cutting up vegetables for the roast. Jisoo waltzed into the kitchen and stole a piece of carrot from the chopping board.

"Hey!" Jennie playfully slapped her hand away. "Welcome home."

"Thanks," grinned the brunette, crunching on the stolen sliver of vegetable. "Dinner smells good. What is it?" She frowned and whiffed the air.

"Roast chicken with stuffing and trimmings."

"Okay, you got culinary," Jennie grinned. "Can I help? You can put your feet up."

"Actually, I've taken it nice and easy today so I'm all good. And I'm nearly done. I just gotta put these in the oven."

"Sweet." Jisoo swung her feet like a little kid and Jennie curbed her urge to ruffle those chestnut locks. Instead, she put the vegetables in the oven and leaned on her elbows across the breakfast bar.

"Jongin's coming to dinner." Nothing like bluntness to get across a message you didn't know how to bring up.

"Ah." Jisoo was clearly taken aback, but recovered with aplomb. "That's cool. I'll go out to dinner."

"No, no, Jisoo, that's not what I meant," Jennie said quickly. "No, I want you to stay, I just didn't want to blindside you with his presence."

"Oh. Um. Okay. I don't have to stay, you know."

"I'd like you to. Please. This is your home while you stay with me and there is nothing I want you to leave for. Well, maybe if he starts doing some kind of drunken striptease, but then I'm leaving with you," Jennie tried to lighten the mood. It got a giggle out of Jisoo and she relaxed a fraction.

"Is Jongin likely to do a drunken striptease?" Jisoo bantered. "He seems like a bit of a tight ass."

Jennie raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth in mock surprise. "Kim Jisoo!" Then she burst out laughing. "He is a bit, isn't he? He has his good points, you know. Sometimes, he's actually a really nice guy."

Jisoo grinned. "Okay, I believe you. But I still don't see you looking at him, swooning and saying 'I must marry him!'"

"That's because that never happened," Jennie countered. "I just married him. It happened. I think I thought it was supposed to."

"Did you love him?" Jisoo asked, more serious now.

"I guess. In a way." Jennie looked a bit distant. "Not in the way I should have. Which really wasn't fair because I think he used to love me like that." She sighed. "It's over now anyway."