Chapter 13

Jennie lay back on the couch with some trepidation. Even though this was just a scan, she couldn't help feeling a little like she was at the gynaecologist.

That was a feeling which wasn't exactly calculated to make her comfortable, specially since she was with Jisoo and Elly.

Her obstetrician came in with a smile. If the doctor saw anything in Jisoo being by her side, fingers laced through Jennie's, she didn't say anything.

Elly was strangely subdued, staring at the equipment in front of them like it was a spaceship. She reached out a finger to gingerly touch the edge of the ultrasound machine and then pulled back, afraid.

"It's okay, you can touch it," Dr. Park said laughingly. She was a friendly young brunette and Jennie had always gotten along with her. She'd delivered Elly with skill that Jennie had admired and she had great trust in the woman. "Shall we get started?" Dr. Park asked.

"Sure," said Jennie. "This is Jisoo." She introduced the two, feeling uneasy at not explaining who Jisoo was. She smiled as the two women shook hands.

Elly clambered into the safety of Jisoo's lap and clung to Mr Ruffles. She wasn't usually this shy but, for some reason, today was her day for holding it all in.

Her little brown eyes grew as round as saucers as Jennie pulled up her top and the doctor squirted gel onto her stomach.

Jennie chuckled and signed to Elly, reassuring her that it was all right. She appreciated the subtle tightening of Jisoo's arm, holding her daughter safe, and the subtle squeeze of Jisoo's hand on hers, telling Jennie is was okay, too.

Jennie shivered at the chill of the gel on her stomach as the probe gently pressed into her slightly swollen abdomen. She'd shown early with Elly and she was just barely showing now, even at three months.

As the fuzzy images sprung up on the screen, a sudden noise made Jisoo's hand jerk. Now it was Jennie's turn to squeeze.

"Oh my God," the brunette whispered. "Is that the heartbeat?"

Dr. Park smiled and nodded. "That's the heartbeat."

Jennie listened to the soft rapid pounding and felt her eyes go wet with tears. Squeezing Jisoo's fingers, together they watched the ultrasound as it brought Jennie's new child to life in front of them.

After it was done, the doctor kindly left them in some privacy and Jennie wiped as much of the gel off as possible.

"Ew." Jisoo giggled. "That looks gross."

"Just cold," Jennie grinned.

"That was incredible." The musician looked a little awed.

"Yeah, it is. Each and every time." Jennie realised that their fingers were still intertwined. "Thank you," she whispered. "Thank you so much for being here."

"It was an honour," Jisoo replied solemnly. "It was... amazing Jennie. Thank you for letting me come."

The picture they made walking back to the car was one that Jennie wished she could stop time for: Jisoo and Jennie, laughing in the orange and pink sunset, swinging a giddy Elly between them, Mr Ruffles tucked under Jennie's other arm safely. It felt safe. It felt warm. It felt... perfect.

Jennie gave in for the moment. She knew that it was going to make it harder when she had to let Jisoo go home for the evening, but this time that they had was so close to what she really wanted that she couldn't help but bask in it for a few hours.

So she basked all the way home to make another dinner with the three of them. Elly seemed to have adjusted to Jisoo's presence without question or issue.