Chapter 16

"Please!" Jennie was imploring now.

"Jennie, go away. I can't do this."

"Don't be ridiculous, Jisoo. I'm not going anywhere. I don't think I've ever seen anyone this upset. How could you think I'd leave you like this?" Jennie bit her lip. "Tell me what's wrong. Whatever it is, we'll sort it out. Together."

Jennie really hoped that no-one had died because that probably meant they couldn't sort it out. Oh. God. This was the point at which Jennie usually realised she'd stuck her foot in her mouth. It was something she was rather good at, as her brother liked to point out. She winced slightly at the thought, and then brought her attention round to the girl in front of her.

"Jisoo." Jennie gently but firmly caught the musician's chin in her hands and brought the forelorn face around to meet her gaze. "Jisoo, tell me what's wrong."

"No, you'll hate me."

Jennie couldn't help but smile. She knew she'd broken through by the slightly petulant note in the girl's voice. It reminded her of the look that Elly got sometimes when she knew Jennie was going to win an argument. "You know I won't. You know I could never hate you."

"Maybe that's true, but you should, and I shouldn't be around you." Jisoo turned her head away, the bitterness in her voice seeping onto the bathroom floor and making haze.

Jennie cupped Jisoo's face in her palms and slowly wiped a tear from the corner of the beautiful girl's eye. "Jisoo, if I did something wrong and I've upset you, you need to tell me what it is."

It was a daring plan: either Jennie had done something wrong, in which case she wanted to know what it was and fix it, or, alternatively, she hadn't, in which case she hoped that the brunette would protest so loudly over the fact that she would have to volunteer what was actually wrong just to get Jennie to believe her.

It was quite a devious plan, actually. If Jennie hadn't been so determined to find out exactly what was wrong with her friend, then she might have taken some pride in it.

"No! God, no, Jennie! This is nothing you've done."

Phew. Score one for Jennie. Not entirely her fault. Now to find out what was actually going on.

"Jennie, it's me, okay? I'm the problem. You shouldn't be here. You, you don't know who I am."

"Are you a man?"

Jisoo stared at her.

"Secret agent?"

"Jennie..."

Jennie ignored her, looking up at the sink in a pondering fashion. "Wait, you're a hippopotamus?"

"Jennie, quit it. I'm serious." Jisoo looked furious and Jennie couldn't help smile.

"Jisoo, I know who you are." The mother of one, and another on the way, got to her knees and framed the face of the girl she was falling in love with. "You're Jisoo. You're the person that's been there for me every second of the last few months. You're my best friend. You're more than that. You're someone I care about deeply. I know exactly who you are."

"It's a lie, Jennie." Jisoo bit her lip and closed her eyes. "It's all a lie."

"How?"

"I'm not who you think I am!"

"Stop saying that!" Jennie bit out. "You're nothing but amazing to me."

"Yeah, well, that's not who I used to be." Jisoo turned her head away, oblivious to Jennie's touch.

"Everything you've done for me-"

"Is a lie, Jennie!" Jisoo interjected bitterly. "It's all a lie. It's who I'm trying to be. It's a game."