Chapter 4

Jennie opened the door to her quiet, darkened house with her heartbeat echoing in her ears. It was a cool night outside but her skin was covered in a sheen of light moisture and her palpitations were making her edgy.

Every small sound made her jump and her pupils were dilated in confusion and fear. All she could feel and all she could think about was Jisoo's lips pressed desperately up against hers.

She could still imagine the curve of the other girl's body pressed into her own, and she wanted it back again. Closing the front door of her house, she leaned back against it. She could imagine Jisoo here, pressing her into it, sliding to the floor.

God, she had to stop. This was insane. This was cheating and this was an affair. She was cheating on Jongin. Oh my God.

Shaking, she dropped her bag onto the dining room table and went to the kitchen, pouring herself a glass of water and dropping ice cubes in it, as though she could cool down just by drinking.

It didn't work and her shakes intensified as the moon shone through the window, casting silvery light all over her. Trembling, she moved to the cabinet in the living room, rifling through it with as much silence as she could muster, pulling out Jongin's whisky.

Moving back to the kitchen, she poured herself a stiff drink and downed it in one go. The burning liquid slid down her throat and made her eyes water.

Gulping, she poured herself another and slid to the floor, cradling the glass to her chest and feeling the tears begin to gather. Slumped on the kitchen tiles in a corner, she hugged herself and sobbed, letting the fear and the emotion pour out of her in a torrent of salty tears and guilty recrimination.

It was morning when she finally rose. Her face stiff from the tears and her body stiff from the position she'd occupied all night, she put the whisky away and poured what remained in her glass down the sink. The sun was coming through the window as it rose, heralding the dawning of a new day and for Jennie, the dawning of a whole new lie: her life.

She had showered and had breakfast on the table by the time Jongin emerged from the bedroom. Rubbing his head sleepily, he walked past Elly, who was watching cartoons on the living room floor, and kissed Jennie on the cheek.

"You didn't come to bed last night," he commented.

"I got home but I fell asleep on the couch," she lied.

"Uncomfortable. Ooh, bacon!" Distracted by the food, he seemed to be over her absence. Jennie felt an internal sigh of relief. "I gotta eat fast. We have a meeting at nine."

"On a Saturday?" Jennie didn't know why she was surprised. Jongin had barely been a part of their lives for months, but she still couldn't keep her annoyance down. Maybe it was just the well of guilt inside her coming out in other ways. If Jongin noticed the tone in her voice, he didn't respond to it.

"Yeah, clients want to meet today." Shoving the last of his breakfast in his mouth, he left the table and went for a shower.

Jennie's confusion only worsened when she realised that she was both pissed off with Jongin for leaving and relieved that he wasn't spending the day near her. She spent the day playing with Elly and trying not to fall asleep.

She also spent the day reliving her kiss with Jisoo over and over in her head. When she felt the tug between her legs intensify and her body shake with heat, she had to hide in the bathroom until it went away.

Distracting herself around the house and with games with her daughter, she prayed for night to come. She desperately needed sleep and some time to clear her head.