"If Nandini saw the box, then all hell will break loose," Rishabh completes for Manik. I frown. Why so? 

"You know it, so why do you ask? Also, I could've moved into Alya's room, but...that space doesn't sit well with me anymore." 

"So first you came to hog my sister's room, then you gave that up and decided to hog the lounge? Too familiar, too fast, don't you think?" So this isn't Manik's house? But supposedly his parents and brother reside here. Although, gauging from the way Rishabh and Manik are conversing, I have a feeling they are related in some other way. As if the questions in my mind weren't enough, another one is gnawing at the back of it, who is this sister of theirs? As I'm bringing my hand back to my side, the silver bracelet on my wrist hits the doorknob, creating a ringing sound. Oh no! What've I done? 

"Rishabh, I'll call you back," Manik says, sounding alert. I am an idiot. Once again my poor planning has backfired in my face.

"Who's there?" Manik yells, making me jump. Adorning what I hope is an innocent face, I open the bathroom door and step out. My friend is standing to my right, ready to ambush me if need be.

"I come in peace, Sir." I joke, letting out a nervous laugh. As if I'm a convict, I raise my arms, palms facing Manik. Poor guy looks like I've told him the earth is rectangular and his entire identity is a lie. "Y-You - " 

"What're you doing here?" Manik asks, casting a glance at the box over his shoulder. As subtly as he can, my friend moves to the left, thereby shielding it from my view. Sure, Manik, that's not odd at all. "What're you doing here?" He repeats.

"You were asleep in my room," I lie, praying that my voice doesn't waver. "I-I had to use the washroom, so..." I trail off, jerking my thumb over my shoulder. Manik's gaze flits towards the bathroom doubtfully. 

"Okay," he finally says, after what feels like an elongated hour. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you." I smile at Manik, my breath stuck in my throat. Something tells me that the man in front of me doesn't quite believe me. 

"What're you doing here?" I ask in return, deciding to put Manik on the spot as well. He furtively glances behind him, towards the box. 

"Rishabh has misplaced a file," Manik lies. Disappointment anchors my heart towards the floor. You're lying to him as well! A voice internally chides me. Good God, I'm a hypocrite. However, I cannot suppress the fact that my heart wishes for me to open my mouth and beg Manik for the truth. It's funny how regardless of all the lies he tells me, I am still drawn towards him, and that he possesses my blind trust even now.

"So he told me to look for it in his room. In case..." Manik trails off. I nod my head understandingly, even though I want to tell the man in front of me that I don't understand the cause of all these lies he keeps feeding me. What in the world is in that box that Manik is lying through his nose and that he's hiding it from me? More importantly, why would all hell break loose if I viewed its contents?

"Found it?" I ask, a slight smile tugging at my lips. My friend furrows his brows. 

"No," he replies slowly, dragging the word out. "No luck unfortunately." 

"Maybe if I help," I offer. The look on Manik's face tells me that he knows what I'm doing. He knows I'm calling out his bluff.

"It's really not a problem," Manik says. "I'll just call Rishabh and tell him the file must be at his office." 

*****

"Manik, have you shifted into that room?" I question, nodding my head towards the door that's opposite to the one I'm currently hogging.