Superman

A/N: That's the school compound. Now just picture it to be pitch dark and flooded. Happy reading xx

Manik's POV

"Now I know this isn't A grade food, and neither is it what you usually eat, but it's all you'll get here." Angel says, as she walks back into the barn, a round steel plate clutched in her right hand and a metal cup in the other. Little does she know I'm so desperate that I'll even eat boiled leaves. Angel stops next to the machine, her eyes flitting towards my hands.

"Um..." I say, unsure of how I will eat. 

"Don't bother, I'll feed you." She says, placing the cup on the ground. 

"No fucking way," I exclaim. "Do I look like a child to you?" 

"Manik, you look like someone who's more than willing to exhaust every ounce of energy in him to aid a struggling woman." Angel smiles proudly at me, as she holds out a bite of daal and rice towards me. "And that makes me unimaginably proud. The children outside are right, you know? You're truly their Superman." 

Ever since Angel's come into my life, I've experienced the glory of appreciation on many occasions. Now is the perfect such example of another such instance. This feeling of being useful and not burdensome to others is one that simply cannot be put into words.

"Thank you," I tell Angel genuinely. 

"For what?" She questions, putting another bite into my mouth. 

"Bringing me here." Today, this woman has given me the chance to witness another part of our country and be of use to my fellow citizens who are in need. For a change I'm not acting out on selfish needs, and this is all because of Angel.

"Thanks for accompanying me, Manik. A one person honeymoon isn't half as fun," she jokes. Angel pops a few more bites into my mouth in utter silence.

 I've had daal and rice before, and I am a hundred percent sure of the fact that it has never tasted this delicious before. Could this change be because of the hands that are feeding me? That's utter bullshit. I'm sure the villagers simply cook their food in a different manner. But how many different ways could this simple meal be made in?

 "Manik, you have a habit of covering up your pain and so I'm asking once more, are you really okay? I know I may seem weak, but in truth I'm quite strong. I can take over."

"Do you really want to help?" I ask, the burn in my muscles feeling much less as compared to what it was before. Angel nods eagerly. "Then just stay here and keep me company." Her shoulders slouch forwards as she sighs with defeat.

"Your mind works in ways only you can figure out." Angel says, making another bite and slipping it through my lips.

"Can I ask you a question?" My left foot pauses momentarily on the pedal. Without skipping a beat, I mentally urge myself to keep going. There's a child who's about to come out, a mother who's struggling in a hot room somewhere in this village, and her pain will only decrease if I input a few more hours of leg work. I think that's quite a fair deal.

"You never have to ask," Angel says, picking up the glass of water and bringing it towards my lips. Only her Aiyappa knows how she can tell when I silently wish for something. 

"How much longer is that woman going to be? Because now I'm starting to feel as if I'm in labor," I joke, grinning. My companion laughs, her palm passing over my sweat covered brow. I open my lips, allowing the liquid to slip in through my parched lips. I detach my lips from the rim once I've had my share, and Angel places the cup back down next to her feet. A drop of water slips down my lips and onto my chin.