Machine Of Pain...Or Relief?

A/N: Hey ya'll, I just wanted to say that I have nothing against any government in this world - be it Indian, or any other. Whatever thoughts the characters carry towards these institutions, or any other, are solely their thoughts and not a reflection of mine. Please don't forget to comment and vote :) Happy reading xx 
P.S I hope this chapter isn't short? ;)

Manik's POV

"Good Lord, I lived through it." I sigh with relief as I get off the boat and throw myself on the ground, spreading my arms and legs. Angel comes to stand over me, gazing down at me quizzically.

"Manik, it was just a boat ride." She says, gesturing for me to get up. "Like I said, no balls," she sings, stepping over me and making her towards a broken, barely three foot high inch wall. As she nears the gap in between the two broken structures, a crowd of children swarms out. They stop in front of her, staring at her with...hope, is it?

"Aunty, are you the one who's our Angel?" A boy asks, smiling at her. No, she's only my Angel, I want to snap. But his smile stops me because it doesn't hold the joy it should. No, it's covering up pain. I sit up and take in his appearance. He's wearing a stained shalwar kameez, the lower portion wet till his knees. His hands are dirty as if he's been dealing with mud all day long. His hair is covered in sand particles, and there are tears in certain parts of his kameez. My eyes land on his feet to find them bare. He's tied two leather bands around them, probably to substitute shoes. 

"Well, I'm not an Angel," Angel replies. "But I am someone who's here to help you lovely people. Why don't you guide me towards the head of your village?" The boy nods enthusiastically and takes Angel's hand in his. She doesn't show any signs of distaste at being touched by his germ filled palm and willingly allows him to guide her past the brick wall. Lord, this woman is so much more than a pretty face indeed.

The ground beneath me is still shaking. Of course the trauma of that boat ride won't leave me easily. How the fuck do these villagers get to and fro all the time using this method? Once I've grabbed hold of a duffel bag, I reach down for the other, but it's not there. I stare at the bare patch of ground, my eyes wide with panic. Fuck, did the river take the bag in? Angel's going to kill me. 

"I've got it." The boat man says, lugging the bag in front of him. "Let's go." 

"No, it's okay," I say, reaching over for the bag, but he swings it away from my reach. "It's not that heavy. Please don't burden yourself."

"You're here to help, so I will also help. Forgive me, but English is a bit weak. I come from elsewhere." The man smiles at me. I nod my head in understanding.

"So what exactly has happened?" I ask, as we begin the short walk towards the village. 

"Monsoon rains," the man replies. "Meaning, uh...river holding too much water and some coming onto land. And rain also doing own damage." 

"Ah okay," I say. "So the river overflowed, along with the rain doing it's own damage in the village. Like destruction of houses, and flooding."

"Uh, yeah. V-Very hot as well," the man continues. "But no lights. Electrical box boom. Not working." 

"Fuck, then how are you guys generating electricity? Or has there been none since?" We reach the opening in between the brick wall, and he motions for me to go ahead.

"N-None since." I nod my head in thanks as I go through. "Today Thea's d-delivery too, but no light or fan for her." It's disgusting that these people are suffering so much and the government hasn't taken any initiative to help them. They might as well just make Angel the Prime Minister. At least she came to help without a second thought. Heck, she was even willingly leaving me.