Destiny's Gamble

A/N: Double update!!! Because, I mean, why not? Happy reading xx

Manik's POV

Bunching up the top of the garbage bag that now acts as a bag for my belongings, I follow the guard towards the exit gate. Truth be told, heading into the outside world almost feels as if I'm invading it, like an alien. Sure, to some six months may not seem like such a long period of time. But I felt every second that passed by and I won't be exaggerating at all when I term this period as hell on earth. That being said, I am also aware of the fact that my hatred towards the hellhole I am leaving today is not entirely due to the place itself. I mainly resent it because of who wasn't present in there and the distance it caused between her and I. 

"Don't do anything to come back." The guard says, stopping in front of the metal gate. 

"I make no promises," I sigh. Unlocking the smaller gate, he pushes it open, rays of sunlight streaming in. I squint my eyes as I step out into a world I know all too well, unlike the one I'm exiting from. A horn beeps to my left. I turn my head in the direction of the sound to find Cabir seated in the front seat of a black Hilux. 

"Hey buddy!" Eva yells, popping her upper half out through the sun roof. "Welcome back." She gestures for me to come over, excitement radiating from her ear splitting grin. Unable to control myself upon seeing my friends, a smile tugs at the corners of my lips. 

"Didn't you just get married?" I call out, making my way towards the car. "No honeymoon?" She stares at me as if I'm the dumbest asshole on this planet.

"How could we leave when you were getting out?" She asks, tossing her arms in the air. It's a relief to know that my friends haven't forgotten about me. But everything's not normal, and it won't be until I don't have Angel at my side.

*****

"Manik, I think we should handle the current situation with great thought and care. The four of us need to come up with a plan which will make Nandini remember you, without Sushant meddling in between." Cabir says, leaning towards me from across the table, as if we are discussing a top secret government mission. "She trusts him more than anyone nowadays and so I think that if he tells her to stay away from you, then she will gladly oblige." As Cabir's talking, my attention wanders towards a man and a woman, who have just walked into the restaurant, guided by a waiter.

"Fuck," Cabir gasps, his eyes following my line of sight. It's Angel, with Sushant at her side. Her arm is brushing against his as she laughs at something he's said. Angel leans towards him, her fist playfully making contact with his bicep. Lord, she's become even more beautiful if that's possible. Her hair's shorter, as it ends just beyond her shoulders. She's wearing a bold shade of red lipstick, coupled with a blood red halter top. The material ends at her stomach, and after a little gap of bare skin, the hem of her black pant begins.

"For starters, I think we'll have a bottle of Chardonnay." Angel says, lowering herself onto a chair. Their table is right beside ours, as if fate is taunting me. Considering the ease with which the alcohol's name rolled off her tongue, I can gather that she now drinks quite often.

"M-Manik, I think we should leave." Eva says, sounding nervous, as if she's unsure of what my next actions will be. Too late. I am already out of my seat and stepping over towards Angel's table. Her head turns towards me, a lingering smile lining her lips. Her look, however, knocks the very breath out of my lungs. She is looking at me and yet she's looking right past me, as if I am a glass window - a stranger.

"Yes?" Angel says questioningly. 

"Uh..." I find myself at a loss for words. Sure, I was aware of her memory loss, but nothing could've prepared me for this glassy look in her familiar orbs. "I'm sorry," I say, getting my mind back on track. "I thought you were someone I know." Now Angel looks as if the wind has been knocked out of her chest.