Episode Six

"Something's wrong," I whispered to Nico as I swept up the mess of chewed cookies

Nico glanced warily over at his rowdy friends dancing around Jessica as he wiped down the table. "What?"

I flinched as Buzzcut, I mean, Mark kicked the coffee table violently. "Their eyes."

Eli dragged over the garbage can and crouched, waiting for me to fill the dustpan. A tiny smile touched his lips when I caught him watching me.

"I know. It's crazy. I've never seen anything like it." Nico's gaze flicked to mine with unease.

"Like I told you before, Bro. They remind me of Delia." Eli added. "And what's with the fucking cookies? They beg for them and hate the taste."

"Exactly. It's not normal." I swept my pile into the dustpan. "Has anyone talked to Rick?"

Eli dumped the dustpan before his eyes wandered back to his friends. "He's not answering."

Nico's phone vibrated for the millionth time, but this time his eyes filled with surprise and anger as he read the text.

"What?" Eli asked.

"You're right." Nico's nostrils flared as he handed the phone to Eli.

I glanced between them. "What's going on?"

Nico scrubbed a shaky hand over his mouth. "Mark's supplier is telling me not to sell any more Hype. He said the people who take it change when they come down."

"Change?" I asked.

"Look familiar?" Eli handed me the phone with a shocking photo on the screen.

Whoever took the photo was inside a car. A guy with solid black eyes appeared to be clawing at the windshield. The look on his face was straight up horrifying with his lips pulled back bearing his teeth, reminding me of a jackal.

My stomach clenched as I handed the phone back to Nico.

Nico grabbed his yellow backpack and waved us into his room.

Eli cupped my elbow as we followed, locking the door.

Nico ripped open his backpack, pulling out two gigantic Ziplocs full of pills. He went to his bathroom, and started dumping them in the toilet. "Mark's supplier said when his friends came down from Hype, they crashed hard and started attacking people. The drugs supposedly come from New York, but that photo was taken in Alabama. I'm just one dealer. Who knows how many others are selling this shit across the country."

My hands covered my mouth as I began to pace. "So, what you're telling me is that Jess, Mark, and his friends are going to attack us?"

Eli nodded as he put his phone to his ear. "We need to bounce. Now."

How could this be happening? Jessica was just high on drugs. She was happy and having a good time. How could she turn into something scary like a jackal?