²⁷, SMOOTH MOVES

Start from the beginning

  The phone rang, Rory picked it up while Charlie finally came out of her food trance. The Gilmore girl found it entirely too amusing that Paris and Jess were getting along, they were polar opposites; plain and simple.

  The girl tugged her leg up, resting her chin on her knee as she admired Jess. He was laughing, a little too loudly, at how Paris had reacted to hot sauce.

  And Charlie loved it.

  "Angel." The girl's eyebrows rose as Jess whispered to her, "You're staring."

  "No, I'm not."

  "You kinda were."

  "I was not," Charlie defended.

  "You were staring."

  "Shut up, Paris."

  "Wow, you know I just noticed the time, and it's getting really late," Rory announced, rushing back into the kitchen/

  "It's 7:00."

  "But Paris and I still have a lot more studying to do."

  "Great, then Jess and I can hang out," Charlie furrowed her brows as Rory grabbed Jess' jacket.

  "Jess, please thank Luke for us, it was really nice of him."

  "Rory, what is your problem?"

  "Hm, I know," Jess raised a finger, finishing his fry before speaking, "Who was on the phone?"

  "No one."

  "No one wouldn't happen to be heading over here right now, would he?"

  "What's going on?"

  "Dean's on his way," Jess explained to Paris. "And Rory doesn't want him to find me here."

  "Why?"

  "Yeah, why?" Rory shot a glare at her sister, but Charlie simply settled back in her seat with an expectant look.

  "You know why."

  "Rory, I hate to be the one to break this to you," Charlie spoke slowly, "But the entire world revolves around the sun. Not you. This isn't your house, it's ours. Jess can be here because I want him here; Dean can't be mad about it and neither can you."

  "We both know Dean won't care who he's here for," Rory sighed.

  "Then we'll both leave."

  "Charlie—"

  "You don't have to do that."

  "So what, I get to sit here while your boyfriend and friend are over?" Charlie rolled her eyes, "I'd rather just go work at Luke's."

  As usual, things went south rather quickly. Charlie and Jess had gathered themselves and made it all the way to the front porch, exactly where Dean stood angrily.

  "We're out," Charlie mumbled, not wanting to stick around for the inevitable fight.

  Jess allowed the girl to tug him away, the lingering thoughts of arguments and jealousy fading away as the teens melted into a comfortable silence. Jess had silently tugged the girl under his arm, neither saying a word as it seemed the feeling of being together was enough.

  "Things aren't going to get weird now, are they?"

  Charlie was the first to break the silence, they had just barely arrived at the bridge when the worst tumbled from her lips. Jess couldn't hold back a smirk as Charlie plopped down beside him.