Introduction to Arpeggios

So we have gone over basic major scale patterns, chords, and now we will cover arpeggios. These are the three pillars we will use to progress further into this book/course.

Let's just jump right into it shall we...

What is an arpeggio?

An arpeggio can be defined as a chord that one arpeggiates. All this means is that the musician will pick the notes individually instead of all at once. A written example may look like this below.

Now even though this specific example does not start off with a C, this is still a C major arpeggio in 1st inversion

Now even though this specific example does not start off with a C, this is still a C major arpeggio in 1st inversion. More on inversions in the next section of this course.

I chose to present arpeggios to you last because, ideally, I wanted you to build some sort of foundation with the material before this and whatever else you are doing to practice.

Chances are you may know an arpeggio or two which puts you in a fantastic place for this chapter! If you don't know any - no worries that's why we are just getting started.

So in true no nonsense fashion let's go straight into the material. Let's start with... you guessed it - the CAGED system!

CAGED System Arpeggios

So now we have the scales that everything (so far) is derived from, the chords, and now the arpeggios.

Now we if take a second to remember what we learned last chapter(s) we can easily figure out the numbers and why 1 is circled red

I have already given you the major scale degrees.

C-D-E-F-G-A-B

1-2-3-4-5-6-7

So in the examples above we can conclude that the 1 is the root while 3 & 5 are scale degrees of a C major chord. It's good to note that these basic arpeggios are only going to be the 1 - 3 - 5 of their triad for now. This will quickly change in later chapters.