Almost Ironic

Italics = Flashback
hopefully this isn't confusing :)

-
The 'torture' room as it was named, was way too cold for human existence. That made sense because the red army soldiers were reincarnations of Satan himself. Tom shivered involuntarily and sighed. He leaned against the hard metal of the wall. The pungent smell of fresh blood and human feces filled the air, which didn't compliment the dead bodies strewn across the floor like game pieces. In a way, Tom thought, they sort of were.

Most soldiers from the red army had come to observe and cheer on those who viscously beat up the green army rebels. A few gasped and threw up, others yelled for more action. Tom stared at the floor. He knew he looked out of place amongst the dead bodies and blood. Just standing there, thinking. Of course every thought ended back up at them. Tord wanted him to forget, so he was condemned to this horrible room every time they found a new green army toy. As if that would help. If anything, Tom always subconsciously checked for them. Just in case by some miracle, they were there. At least then he might be able to save them. Bring them somewhere far away where Tord didn't exist.

A tanned, black haired male was thrown against the floor and tackled by two generals. They encouraged the crowd to come and help them deal an appropriate punishment. The soldiers eagerly ran in and started kicking, punching, and prodding the boy in every way possible-

"Hey, Edd?" Tom sat in a leather chair next to Edd's hospital bed. It was only a few days into his slow recovery from the bullet wound Tord gave him.

Edd had been scribbling away in that old notebook of his, off in his own little world, "Yeah?" He looked at Tom and sat up straight, twiddling his chipped number two pencil in his pale fingers.

"Y'know I love you right? And no matter what, we're still gonna be best friends." Tom mumbled. The tone of his voice seemed off. It was soft and almost heartbroken, like the melody of a sad song.

Edd didn't respond verbally. He outstretched his thin arms and gave Tom a telling smile. Tom practically threw himself into the brunette arms. His touch was so warm and felt like home.

Home wasn't here at the army base. It was back in England on a quaint little street surrounded by familiar people and places. It was where Tom and his friends stayed up until 3 am, marathoning dumb horror movies and talking about whatever came to mind.

What he wouldn't do to go back to that simple yet crazy life.

"We'll always be best friends. Not even an insane serial killer can change that."

The green army soldier sputtered and gasped for breath. His face was a canvas of cruel purple bruises and crimson marks. He gripped the boot of one of the red army members who forced him off like he was an unworthy pest. Incoherent shouts and screams filled the room-

Tom was dragged into the courtyard after his 'chat' with Tord. His friends had done everything they could to get him back. They were the ones who managed to take the memory chip from his visor despite how risky it was. They loved him, or at least tolerated him in Eduardo's case. But now they were going to be killed before he even got to say goodbye. Starting with Eduardo, his burning body would soon be on display for everyone to see.

The sky was overcast as if somehow, it knew. It knew that cloudy day would be the last time he ever saw Edd or Matt. He pretended to be stoic, like he didn't care. Tord grinned at him and ran his rough hands through Tom's hair, "I'll be back in a few minutes, pet." He promised.

Isn't it funny that such promises, which are so insignificant and easy to fulfill, are the only ones that are kept?

Tom nodded. But from the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of a figure from behind a small shed near the main base. To him, it looked suspiciously like Edd. He thought that it had just been his imagination, but Tom needed to know. He ran away from Tord's view and soon noticed that to his surprise, it was indeed his best friend. And not just Edd, but other people too. Unbeknownst to everyone else Pat, Paul, Edd, and Matt hid behind that small building, whispering quietly.

Everyone was crying, even the emotionless Paul had shed a tear. None of them wanted to know what fate had in store for them.

"I'm sorr-" Tom was cut off by a tight hug from both Edd and Matt. At that point, he too started to sob, "Shh. It's not your fault. Don't worry about us, we'll be going somewhere safe. And when the time is right, I promise we'll come back for you. It's not because we love you any less. We need you to hold on just a little longer, understand?"

Tom nodded through his tears. Deep down, he knew none of this would have happened if he hadn't been such an idiot and let Tord trample over him like a useless piece of trash.

"C'mon, we should go." Pat told Tom and led him back over to watch the fire slowly burn.

By this point, the males eyes were closed. It was almost a peaceful sight, aside from the blood tricking down his body that was still being abused. He was unable to cry anymore, be it from death or passing out it wasn't exactly clear. Soon after, the soldiers had gotten bored. They nonchalantly filed out of the torture room as if they hadn't possibly beaten an innocent man to death. Tom knew they would be back when they felt like serving more 'justice'.

When he knew he was alone, Tom kneeled down next to the man. He pressed his hand against the mans neck to feel for a pulse. Just as he suspected. Tom couldn't feel anything but the cold skin on the mans neck. He wasn't surprised that he was the only one who had checked to see if he was even still alive. The other soldiers could care less. All they wanted was to take pleasure from such horrible pain.

Tom stood up shakily. Tord wanted to see him 2 minutes ago and he was already late. He forced his eyes away from the body and closed the door to the room that filled him with so many memories. Maybe the next time he came back Edd and Matt would be standing there, ready to go with him to any place but here.