Recovery

Chapter 11

Light. The brightness of light blinded my eyes, causing me to raise my hand to shelter my eyes. My eyes tried to focus on the room but the light almost made it impossible to see anything.

"You're awake," somebody spoke.

I couldn't see who it was but the voice sounded somewhat familiar. The presence of this person remained before another presence joined.

"Tess, can you hear us sweetheart?" the presence asked.

I didn't need my eyes to focus on them to know that one of them was Gemma. She was the only person who called anybody 'sweetheart'.

"You had a heart attack, Tess. But the doctor said you're going to be okay".

That was Jax. The tone of his voice and finally became clear to me. It was obviously Jax. Who else would it have been?

I finally begun to break away from the beaming ray of light before moving my eyes to Jax, who was on my left. Little by little, he became more clear until my vision had stopped blurring.

"Hey," I smiled weakly.

"How are you feeling?" Jax asked as he took my hand in his.

"Okay, I guess. Still trying to remember exactly what happened".

"Apparently somebody called you before you collapsed. Somebody who went by the name, Rachel".

"Oh, yeah. I remember. She called about work. Talking a lot about the restaurant before I suddenly just collapsed. Guess it was a lot of info all at once".

"I thought you had it all sorted?" Gemma questioned.

My head turned to her before I shook my head. "There's still a tone of work to sort out. I don't even know how I'm going to do it all".

I felt my heart beginning to race before Gemma immediately took my other hand and began to reassure me that I didn't have to do it all, which instantly began to calm my heart down.

"Now, let's not talk about work anymore. It clearly doesn't help".

My mind switches to Theo in an instant before I turned to look at Jax.

"Theo. Where is he?"

"He's at my place. I got one of the guys to watch him for the night," Jax informed. "I'll bring him here tomorrow so he can see you".

"Thank you," I smiled.

"No problem. I'm glad you're alright, Tess. I don't what I'd have done if anything happened to you. What Theo and I would have done if-"

"Hey, I'm okay, Jax. Everything is going to be fine".

Jax kissed my left hand just as I felt Gemma release from my right. I then placed it on Jax's cheek, and began brushing it ever so slightly.

"I'll give you two a minute. Feel better, sweetheart," Gemma spoke before kissing my cheek. "I'll check on you tomorrow".

I nodded before I watched her exit from the room.

"Did you find the man that violated the girl?" I asked Jax, finally remembering where I was heading before I collapsed.

"Yeah, we did. It was the fat old clown".

"The one Theo was scared of?"

"That's the one".

Theo was naturally scared of clowns. He always had been. I had attempted several times to try and get him into them, but everything time it was a red flag. Guess this time, Theo had a right to be. The thought of a clown, who is meant to entertain kids, raping a young girl made me sick.

"Guess he had a right to be," Jax stated.

"I was going to visit her. I was on my way to her room before and... well, I guess you know what happened".

"Gemma checked on her. She's soing okay".

A rush of relief radiated all over my body just as my body began to relax.

"I'm tired. Would you mind if I got some rest?"

"Sure".

"Thanks".

I then closed my eyes just as Jax dimmed the lights. And just as I felt myself fading, a kiss appeared on my cheek from Jax...