Chapter 5: Sinister Vibes

Start from the beginning

"Max and Alex I believe?" Chris said. "I heard all about you two."

"Good things I hope," I said, extending my hands but still in shock.

"Definitely good," he said, turning to shake Alex's hands now. Alex drew his hand back quickly.

I turned to scrutinize Alex. He was actually shooting Dr. Chris icicle daggers that would cut someone easily. Oh my God, why haven't I noticed this earlier? Yes, it all makes sense. Alex liked June. But the question is, for how long?

"I'm starving," June said, pulling at Chris's arms and oblivious to the brewing tension. "By the way guys, Chris is joining us at Pop's Diner for lunch," she said.

"Perfect," Alex said, his tone dry. "Something came up June and I can't make it, you guys enjoy though."

"Aww boo!" June said hugging Alex.

"Later dude," I said, patting his back.

"Nice meeting you man," Dr. Chris said.

Alex merely nodded at him and walked off.

Wow, I've never seen Alex like this before. He must seem really bummed out about this. I'll definitely talk to him about it later.

"Shall we?" June said, bringing me back to reality.

"We shall," I said, following her and her man lover right behind.

**********

"But he's not even her type," Alex said.

I was driving home back from lunch with June and Dr. Chris and the first thing I did was call Alex up.

"What do you mean not her type?" I said.

"You know, he's like too nerdy."

I Iaughed. "Seriously Al? Nerdy? That's all you could come up with?"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Oh come on, it's pretty obvious man."

"What's obvious?"

"You and June. Duh."

"Oh."

There was a long pause on the other end of the line. He was red and embarrassed for sure. Did I mention how much I loved teasing Alex?

"So cute," I said.

"Shut up," Alex said, his voice coming out in a low murmur. I could only imagine how red his ears were.

"I'm serious," I said.

"W-what?"

"It's cute," I repeated. "You and June. I don't know why I didn't see it before but it makes so much sense now. But I'm just wondering, when did you realize this?"

"I think I always did Maxxie," Alex said.

"But what about Daisy? You seemed to be serious about her."

"Daisy's just a crush. I guess it took seeing June with another guy to realize how much I actually liked her."

"Why didn't you tell her all these years then?" I said.

"It's complicated Max. She's my best friend. I don't want to risk our friendship. What if she says no?"

"What if she says yes?"

"Maaaaaax, don't, my heart is too weak to handle this. I love her."

"You love her? Wow Al, that's serious then."