Chapter Three: Banner's Burdens

Tony trudged through the halls, gloom settling over his shoulders. He was on his way to tell his fiancée everything, not to mention explain to a teenager why he too had attempted (and briefly succeeded) in taking his own life.

   His eyes turned to a dimly-lit hallway.

   Bruce was sitting on a bench, gun in hand.

   Tony stopped in his tracks. "Bruce?"

   Bruce startled. "Tony! I didn't see you there. Why aren't you resting?"

   "Why do you have a gun in your hands? You realize that's not going to work... right?"

   "Yeah... but sometimes it feels good just to hold it."

Tony frowned. "I know."

"Please don't be concerned. I was just thinking..."

   Tony leaned on the doorway. "About?"

   Bruce set the gun on his leg. "What you did with this gun..."

   Tony felt his heart get heavy as he watched his friend, sitting alone in an abandoned hallway where no one would find him

   Tony took a seat next to Bruce. He saw a tear slip down the scientist's already wet cheek.

   "Are you crying?" Tony asked softly.

   "I didn't want anyone to see me like this," Bruce replied quietly, cheeks tinged red. "That's why I'm here instead of my bedroom or lab. I'm always seen as 'the weak avenger,' Tony. I don't need 'crying' to be added to the list of reasons why."

   "But why are you crying?"

   Bruce didn't answer. Eventually he mumbled, "I didn't think it was that bad."

   "What was?"

   "You."

   "Oh." Tony looked at the ground.

   "I'm sorry I didn't notice. I just, you're always acting like that and I know we just had that... that war. I knew you weren't okay but god Tony, you're never okay. None of us are. I just thought maybe you'd tell someone or... or you wouldn't have let it get to that..."

   Tony pulled his knees to his chest. He sighed. "I know... and I'm sorry. I have a new therapist, I just haven't gone. I just didn't see the point to being here anymore. I mean... there's no more us. The avengers aren't needed anymore, or at least right now. And if I don't have that... do I even have purpose?"

   "Your purpose isn't just saving the world. It's saving yourself," Bruce said wisely.

   Tony nodded. "Okay, I told you why I did it. And I regret it. Really, I do. But I never asked you why you tried all those years ago. And since I'm a selfish asshole, I want to hear from you. Because you never... you've never told me."