Chapter Twenty-One: Tony's Trust Issues

The avengers sat around the meeting room table, discussing the multiverse and the portals.
"So what you're saying is we can go through?" Bruce asked.
"This machine is dangerous to have around," Stephen said. "It's as bad as the time travel machine. Keeping it around only allows it to coax us into using it and somehow destroying other universes."
"We do still have America Chavez," Wong said.
"So what, you're going to destroy me for my ability now, too?" She responded.
"No," Tony said. "I agree, this ability is dangerous. But if used correctly, it can be of use in case of a bigger threat coming along."
"I vote we destroy it," Steve said. "The time travel machine was helpful for our mission to end Thanos. This was useful for us when Ms. Chavez was in another universe."
"And had she not been, we'd have been able to use her help." Tony frowned. "Technology isn't a bad thing to have around when you can't count on others."
Steve had mixed expressions on his face. "What about a communication device? One that can travel through any universe."
"Take it from me, that idea sounds really cool, but I'm not certain how well it would work," Scott said.
"Considering what we have been capable of creating so far? It's entirely possible." Clint patted over a flaking tattoo, trying not to itch it.
"Tony, he's got a point." Natasha looked up hopefully. "It's a new world. Or.. worlds I should say. We have to be ready for whatever may come. If we get separated-,"
Yelena put her head on her sister's shoulder, playing with the end of her braid.
"If we got separated, whether that be a different time or a different realm, or a different universe.. we have to be prepared. Being able to communicate through any of that is vital."
Tony sat, straining his fingers through his graying hair. He knew the feeling of being isolated all too well. Separation without any contact to your loved ones. "We can't let that happen. Not again."
Bruce rubbed Tony's back. "We're going to be ready. Truly ready, for whatever might come our way."
Tony picked at the skin on his temples, opening a scab absentmindedly.
Stephen sat on the other side of Tony, offering a tissue for the blood.
Tony took it, dabbing at his wound. "Promise me if I don't destroy the time travel and multiverse travel machines, you won't abuse it for your own desires."
Bucky gave a self-conscious side glance to Steve, remembering how Steve's counterpart had stayed in the past with Peggy.
Steve seemed to read his mind, taking Bucky's metal hand in his and placing a kiss to his forehead. Bucky seemed to relax. "I swear on my honor," Steve said.
Tony nodded, looking at Strange. "That includes you."
Stephen felt jabbed, and was slightly shocked by the presumption. "Sorry?"
"I don't care how well you used the stones. I don't care how you handled the Darkhold. The human part of you still yearned for the girl you lost. For the ability of your hands you lost. Of the power."
"And did I not make the right decision?"
"You did. You always do. The multiverse is a whole new beast. That suit you've got, you didn't steal it from me," Tony said in a hushed voice.
"I am not a thief."
"I know. Let me ask you this, what did you name the AI?"
Stephen blushed. "His name is TAILOR. Does it matter?"
Peter scrunched his legs up into his chest. He could feel the tension in the room.
Shuri squeezed his arm gently, and MJ put a hand on his leg to try and soothe him.
"Tony Artificial Iron-Man Original Reconstruction." Tony bit at the edge of his fingernail. "Am I correct?"
   "How did you know that?"
   "Because there was a time I created the same backup, for Peter's suit. In the case I had died by the hands of Thanos. You knew the possibilities, you've now spoken with those who's lived through them. I knew the risk, so I downloaded an AI of my consciousness."
   Peter wrapped his arms around his knees.
    "I know why you have access to it," Tony stated with a somber look. "Please, don't let it compromise your ability to be a functioning part of this crew. Multiverse travel and time travel will be for necessary mission use only."
   "I understand," Stephen replied.
Tony stood, walking over to Clint. "Good, then we'll all need this." Tony pointed at the hearing aid.
   "I'm not following," Stephen said warily.
   "I added a comm to it. One in my suit as well. When I flew through different portals, Clint was still clear as day. The technology works. Should we need to communicate with someone from a different universe, all we've gotta do is change the station."
   Clint avoided eye contact.
   "You didn't say something before?" Stephen asked, a hint of anger in his voice.
   Pepper nibbled her lip nervously. God, why can't these boys ever get along?
   "I needed to test them. And I needed to trust you." Tony leaned against the wall. "I can mass produce these for our team in a day. But know that I can track what is said or where it is sent if I feel the need to."
   Stephen crossed his arms. "Alright. I'm not going to argue."
   "Take the rest of the day off," Tony said to the team. "Come by tomorrow afternoon to pick up your comm piece."
——————————————————————
   "Hey," Stephen said, entering the shop.
   Tony handed over a new comm, not even looking his way.
   "Hey," Stephen said again, placing a hand over the piece, another hand under Tony's. He curled his fingers over the man's small hands.
   Tony looked over with tired, grief-stricken eyes.
"I'm sorry about earlier."
"It's not your fault I have trust issues."
"Maybe not, but I'd like to do my best to prevent adding onto them."
"You've got your little AI to keep you company."
   Stephen's eyes softened. He could tell Tony felt a certain way about his recent interaction with the other Tony. Maybe he knew why the suit and AI had been gifted to him. "He is not you."
Tony shrugged. "Choosing an alternate version of me when the best one is right here."
"You know I love you."
"I love you too." Stephen leaned down and kissed him.
   Tony and Pepper had recently began having an open relationship. Tony was allowed to have romantic and sexual interactions and actions with others in the team, as long as Pepper was aware and previously consented. He was not, however, permitted to do anything outside of friendship with people he didn't work with, or that she didn't know. Tony, being a tad protective and quite frankly, has pride in being her man, had the boundaries of no men, besides him, sleeping with Pepper without asking first. Dates were fine, but dick was not. Pepper however, enjoyed occasional romantic relations with May, and didn't desire sexual relations if Tony wasn't present and included.

   "Get some sleep. Bruce and I will tend to those who are recovering," Stephen said.
   Bruce looked over, staying silent.
   "I still have to get these comms out," Tony stated.
    "Peter would love to help," Bruce said.
   "That kid's been on him all day with science questions." Stephen chuckled.
   A quiet explosion came from the table beside Bruce. Peter blinked, ash all over his face and his hair sticking up in all directions.
    "Fine." Tony ran a thumb across Stephen's knuckles. "But only because you asked so nicely."
   Stephen helped him to his feet. "We do appreciate what you do for this team. For us. We just don't stroke your ego."
   "Well if you don't want to stroke my ego, I've got something else you can str-,"
   Bruce shushed him, nodding his head towards the kid.
   Stephen rolled his eyes. "Always the flirt, you are."
   "My wife has been saying we should spice things up a bit." Tony shrugged, his cheeks a tad pink.
   "Is that an invitation?" Stephen smirked.
    "It's an order," Tony replied, daring a look.
   "Well, sir. You know how I feel about those. There's only room for one rule breaker."
   "I think we can make room for two more."
Stephen smirked. "If you insist."
"Pep will be back in an hour or so, she's dropping Morgan off at ballet practice and picking up a few groceries. You're welcome to join us."
"I will help you ease her stress, on the condition you get some rest."
Tony's smile faltered.
"It's okay to tell him, Tony." Bruce squeezed his hand, giving him a kiss on the cheek as Tony always does when anyone else feels down. Bruce made his way towards the kid, tending to the mini-explosion.
"Nightmares?" Stephen inquired.
Tony nodded. "Ginny is the only reason I can get a nap in anymore."
Ginny yipped in response, sensing his nervousness.
"Good girl." Tony pet her soft ears.
Stephen nodded towards the couch. "I'll wait with you."
Tony picked Ginny up. "The dog stays with me."
Ginny nuzzled into his shirt.
Tony removed her prosthetic. "She needs a rest herself."
Stephen laid down on the couch, book in hand. He reached his arm around to the side of Tony's waist. "Come here."
Tony sat atop the man, stretching his legs over his.
"It's okay to relax." Stephen could feel the tightness in Tony's posture.
Ginny cuddled up in Tony's lap, and Tony rested his head against Stephen's chest. His heartbeat was comforting.
Stephen wrapped his arms around him, opening the book.
Tony soon zoned off, his hand rising and falling to the cadence of Ginny's breaths, his fingers in her fur.
Stephen flipped a page, having to reread paragraphs. Tony looked so peaceful..
Pepper walked into the shop, a couple bags of groceries in hand.
Stephen glanced over, a sudden nervousness to him.
Pepper placed the groceries on the table. "I can barely manage to get him to sleep nowadays." She smiled, walking over and petting her husband's hair.
"He is stubborn, isn't he?"
Pepper kissed Stephen's temple. "Thank you."
Stephen gave a small smile in return.
"I'll be upstairs in our bedroom wherever he wakes."
"I'll let him know."
"You're welcome to come, too," Pepper called behind her as she took the groceries upstairs.
"I might have to take you up on that offer." Stephen ran a hand through Tony's bangs. There wasn't a thing he wouldn't do for this man. Comfort has been too little for Tony for far too long. It was time to help him deal with his trauma. And with that, he had an idea.