Chapter 8

Song of the chapter: young and menace by fall out boy

This one is kinda a filler I guess.

Walking into school on a Monday was the worst feeling in the world, especially when you had nothing to look forward too. No friends to talk to, no one to walk to class with and nothing worth thinking about when you are bored in class. Oliver found it extremely hard to concentrate on the English teacher droning on about war poems buy yet he had nothing else to do but sit still and wait for this insufferable hell to be over. All he wanted to do was lay down on the floor and pretend like he was already dead. Anything would be better than this lesson.

Lunch rolled around wayyyy too slowly. Every second felt like minutes and every hour felt like years. By the time Oliver had sat down at his usual lunch table, he felt like he had aged at least 20 years. He was pretty sure he qualified for a seniors bus ticket at this point. Oliver flipped open his notepad and began scribbling across the first black page he saw. He focused on the page as it quickly became consumed with thick black lines. The repetitive motion calmed him.

"Maybe you should draw something y'know prettier?" Josh's voice startled Oli and he ended up stabbing the pen straight through his paper. Shit.

"Maybe you should fuck off."

"Can you draw me?" Josh didn't seem discouraged by Oliver's come back at all.

"I'll draw you if you leave me alone."

"Really?"

"No."

"Well maybe you could come over to my house and hang out with me after school?"

"No."

"Why not?" Josh questioned, making Oli roll is eyes in annoyance.

"I have plans."

"Like what?"

"When will you fuck off and leave me alone."

"When you decide that you have nothing better to do with your Monday night then hang out with your best friend Josh." Josh smiled as he spoke. Oliver sighed and got up. He stood right in front of Josh, close enough that if one of them leaned in their noses would probably touch. Josh didn't seem to become intimidated by the invasion of his person space like Oli had hoped that he would have.

"When will you learn Franceschi?"

"When will you agree to start being friendly with me?"

"I don't understand why you won't let this go and leave me alone like everyone else does."

"Because, Oliver, I can see that you're a truly great person deep down and this defensive attitude is just a wall you put up to keep people from getting in too close. And i really like you and I wish that you liked me back."

Josh blushed, hoping that Oliver didn't realise that Josh had just confessed his feeling towards him, and instead though that Josh meant he wanted a friendship not a relationship.

"Are you hitting on me Joshua?"

"Are you going to come to my house later?"

"Fine." With that Oli picked up his bag and walked straight out the dinner hall.  He needed a couple of hours of alone time if he was going to have to put up with Josh later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josh was stood by Oliver's locker. Call him a stalker, but Josh knew that Oli kept his phone in his locker during the day, so he always came to get it at home time. He was going to make sure that Oliver saw his agreement through and came back to Josh's house with him. Josh couldn't wait.

Oliver was walking towards his locker from Maths class. Double physics followed by maths was too much for one person to handle in a day and he was beyond exhausted. He hoped that Josh wouldn't be out of class yet, so that he could quickly nip to his locker before swiftly walking home. He really needed a nap.

To Oli's dissatisfaction, he saw that Josh was already waiting besides his locker when he entered the hallway. Great. Now there was no way he could avoid Josh . He could skip going to his locker completely and make a mad dash out the school gates, but his phone was in his locker and he kinda needed that to survive. He approached his locker and Josh smiled widely when he noticed the tall boy was beside him. Josh didn't say anything as he waited for Oli to finish up so that they could get home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oli was defiantly surprised by how nice Josh's house looked. It was a large Victorian style house with a nice trimmed garden that was concealed by a wide electric security gate. He knew Josh was rich but he wasn't expecting his place to be so neat and well kept. His mum would never be able to find the motivation to keep the garden this well organised.

Inside was no different. It was spacious and modern. Josh lead Oli up to his bedroom. He had the attic room on the third floor of the house, which made it even cooler.

"This is my room, obviously."

"It's very you."

"Thanks."

"I never said that was a compliment."

Oli sat on the bed as Josh flicked through Netflix before finally deciding on a film, half way through someone opened the bedroom door and walked in. Oli looked to the doorway to see a women in mid 40s. She was short with blue eyes and shoulder-length brown hair. Oli assumed that this was Josh's mum. She looked at Oli for a couple of seconds, probably trying to use her motherly instincts to detect Oliver's personality.

"I don't think we've met before." She said in a strong Southern accent that not many people possessed around this area of the country. She smiled widely at him. He tried to return the gesture but couldn't, this was the first time in years he had been round to someone's house before and met their parents.

"This is Oliver." Josh said as he put his arm around Oli's neck. Oli didn't comment on the physical contact, deciding that it was probably rude to reject Josh right in front of his mother.

"Well it's nice to meet you Oliver. Dinner is almost ready so I suggest you boys both go sit downstairs at the table."

The boys followed her instructions and went downstairs to sit at the table. Elissa was already sat waiting when Josh sat down across from her. Oliver sat next to Josh. Elissa gave Josh a weird look and he gave a warning glare back that Elissa decided to ignore.

"Why's he here?" Asked Elissa as she averted her eyes from Oli to Josh.

"We're hanging out." Josh said as he looked at Oli. Oli was sat looking down at his hands as he picked at the corner of the table cloth. He looked uncomfortable to say the least. Josh put his hand on Oli's right knee reassuringly, a small gesture that Oli, surprisingly, didn't blow off.

"But Josh-"

"Elissa don't be rude."

The rest of tea was an awkward montage of glaring matches between the two Franceschi siblings and Josh trying to start multiple conversations with Oli. After dinner, Josh and Oli walked back up to Josh's room in silence. As soon as Josh closed his bedroom door, all the built up tension dropped from Oli's muscles.

"I'm sorry if she made you uncomfortable."

"No shit she made me uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry alright." Josh wrapped his arms around Oliver's body and pulled him into a tight hug. Oli didn't know what to do so he just hugged back and leant his chin against Josh's shoulder. He half smiled against the warm skin of Josh's neck.