Chapter 2

Oliver woke up in a cold sweat. Another nightmare. He'd had nightmares every night since his father went to jail, reliving the moment over and over again like a song set to repeat.

He pulled himself out of the warm bed and stared at the blank cream walls that surrounded him. His bedroom was quite small, only containing his single bed, a worn out desk and the wooden wardrobe that he'd had as long as he could remember. The wall were empty except for a small window and two Linkin Park posters. He liked his room relatively plain, kept him from getting distracted when getting ready in the morning.

He slipped on his school uniform quickly, trying to stay unaffected by the lack of heating in the silent room. He then brushed his teeth and hair, deeming himself presentable enough for the day. It's not like anyone at school would have the nerve to comment on how rough he looks anyways.

Oliver went to school at Bridgewood Veil, a well renounced school on the edge of the South side of the town. He was one of the only students that went to the school that lived on the north side, seen as though the school was reluctant to take in kids from the well-known rough area, in case it effected the schools reputation. The school was extremely reluctant to take Oli at first, seen as though he had been kicked out of his old school in year 8 and held back a year in primary. But after his mum had threatened to sue the school over the matter, they let Oliver in. He was now 2 weeks into his first term of year 11, although he was already approaching his 17th birthday due to him being held back.

Oliver prepared Tom's breakfast and lunch, deciding to simply get an apple for himself to save time. He put Thomas' lunch in the fridge and left the house, pulling on a black hoodie as he left. He put in his headphones as he trudged to school, ignoring the looks he got when other students saw him approaching the school gates.

~~~~~~~~~

Josh woke up slightly later than Oli, opening his eyes to the sound of his alarm. Joshua had the biggest room in the house, the attic, with red and black walls, a walk in wardrobe and a double bed. He walked into his private bathroom which was connected to his room to take a quick shower. After showering he got ready and walked downstairs. Josh's mother was already dressed and was cooking breakfast for his father, just like everyday. Josh ate a bowl of cereal, packed his bag and left the house, conscious that he was slightly late.

At the end of the driveway stood Matt Kean, leaning again the wall and staring at his phone. Once he saw Josh he smiled and they headed to school in a peaceful silence.

On arrival to the school gates, Josh was meet by smiles and waves from passing acquaintance, as Matt and him tried to locate the rest of their friendship group. Josh was known by most people at his school; he was popular, head of the school council and obsessed over by most of the girls in his year.

Josh and Matt walked down the corridors, which were mostly empty, weaving their way towards Matt's locker so that he could retrieve his PE kit for second period. As Matt sorted through the junk in his messy locker, Josh looked at the floor, sensing someone gaze on him. When he looked up, he was met with nothing but  empty hallway.

He could have sworn he felt someone looking at him.