Part 9: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓵𝓸𝓷

"Zero

"Zero."
~*~
Word Count: 2977

The next morning, we had the Decathlon, but Peter was no where to be found. Peter was replaced by Flash, leaving him, Ned, Abraham, MJ, Cindy, and I on stage for the Decathlon. I was shaking with nervousness when I heard something vibrating in Ned's backpack. I pulled out Ned's phone, it was Peter. I was about to answer, but we were entering the Decathlon and a lady at the front desk took the phone.
"Wait-!"

"Kath, come on!" Michelle called. I gave my phone and Ned's phone to the lady and went on stage.

Please be okay, Pete...

~*~

What felt like hours passed and we were on the last question.
"We have now entered sudden death. The next correct answer wins the championship." She announced the math problem and after a few seconds of mental math, I rang my bell. "Midtown Tech?"

"Zero." I answered.

"That is correct!" She announced. Everyone jumped from their seats applauding and my team started screaming out of excitement, except for Michelle who watched me be attacked by hugs, smiling.

"YEAH!!!" Ned hugged me from behind.

"You are my favourite person on the planet right now!!!"

"WAY TO GO, NERD BRAIN!!!" Flash screamed while running around the stage.

~*~

After that, we went to the Washington Memorial and Peter called again on our way in.
"Peter, are you okay?" After I heard that a grabbed Ned's wrist and angled the phone towards me so I could hear too.

"Ned, where's the glowy thing? The glowy thing?!" Peter sounded like he was in trouble.

"Peter?! It's fine it's in Ned's backpack!" The lady at the metal detector waved at us and so I put up my index finger to tell her to wait. Peter said something, but the phone was away from our ears so it was muffled.

"You missed the Decathlon. Kathy and I covered for you-"

"Listen!" Peter interrupted.

"We're at the Washington Monument-" this time I was interrupted by Liz grabbing the phone out of Ned's hand.

"Peter, is that you?!" She did NOT sound happy. "You flake! You are so lucky we won! I want to be mad, but I'm more worried. Like, what is going on with you?" Ned and I went through the detector and Liz followed so I assumed she hung up on Peter. We all went into the elevator and the tour guide was talking about the monument as we rose to the top.

"The Washington Monument is 555 feet, 5 1/8 inches tall. Notice how the marble and granite are cut around the stone-" she was cut off by purple lasers shooting out of Ned's backpack and slicing through the elevator walls, floor, ceiling and along the left side of my stomach.