33 | It Never Would've Been Too Late

My stomach twisted with nerves as I rapped my knuckles against Emily's front door

My stomach twisted with nerves as I rapped my knuckles against Emily's front door. The long drive to her house had only given me more time to think about the situation and psych myself out with unanswerable questions. I was dying to know what the donation meant and why she hadn't told me about it— if Hank hadn't asked, would I ever have known?

It didn't take long for Mrs. Banks to open the door, looking as neat and put together as a human being could. "Oh, hi Preston!" She smiled at me, opening the door wider and stepping back to usher me inside. "Come in, come in. I was wondering when we'd see you again."

Even with how nice she was, being around her made me feel like I belonged to a different species. It was a wonder how anyone could be so pristine in what seemed to be every aspect of their life. 

"Hi, Mrs. Banks. Thank you."

"Emily just got a home a few minutes ago," she explained, shutting the door. "She's up in her room if you'd like to go knock."

Obviously, Emily hadn't spoken to her parents about what happened between us. I couldn't say it surprised me.

"Okay." I smiled, heading for the stairs. "Thanks."

"It's too bad she lost the race," she spoke again, causing me to pause on the first step as she walked over. I just nodded, playing along with the lie Emily had clearly told her.

"But I'm glad you two are staying friends— Emily hasn't had the best luck with making any these past few years. I think she's happy to have someone to talk to." Mrs. Banks waved the sentiment away with a hand, shaking her head. "Anyway, I'll leave you to it."

We shared a smile before she headed out of the foyer, and I forced myself to walk up the stairs and not sprint to Emily's room. I could hear music from behind her door, the soft rock singer accompanied by a slightly out of tune Emily. I almost couldn't bring myself to interrupt, but my curiosity outweighed my appreciation for the endearing performance, which came to an end as soon as my knuckles hit the door.

The music turned down a notch before the door flew open and my eyes met Emily's, which quickly widened. 

"I— hi," she stuttered, shaking her head as if to set her mind right. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Sorry." I mentally smacked myself for not even thinking about how rude it was to show up without warning. "I should've texted, I just— I— Well—" I wasn't sure how to say that I knew about the donation. Now that I was actually in front of her, my readiness for confrontation wilted away, replaced by the usual nerves Emily produced in me. 

Was it stupid of me to assume she had something to do with it, or that it was even her parents' company? Maybe I'd jumped to conclusions, and now I was standing in her doorway fumbling my way through a sentence I wasn't even sure I should finish.