23 | Your Official Introduction to Crazy

I was in my first period trying to focus on a worksheet about Hamlet when the PA system crackled on

"Good Morning Milton High," Principal Fulton's voice rang out over the classroom as the conversations around me faded to a stop. "I know all of you have been waiting for any news about the potential budget cuts and the fate of our wrestling team, as well as our home economics courses. Sadly, I must inform you that these programs are not able to continue at Milton due to a lack of funding. In addition, we may have to make cuts to the art department later in the year if the school board deems it necessary."

A few groans and sighs of disappointment emitted from the class, and I couldn't help but think of Preston. If there was one thing I knew about him from our short time as friends and even shorter time as a couple, it was that wrestling was basically his life. A day never went by where he didn't mention the team or an upcoming match.

I wanted to be glad and to bask in his undeniable misery. But honestly, I just felt bad for him. Even with all the animosity between us, I knew he didn't deserve to have his favorite thing taken away. 

"Please remember that the staff has had no part in this decision, and if you have complaints, you can take them up with the superintendent. Despite this unfortunate news, I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday."

The soft chatter returned to the room, many annoyed voices now among it. I couldn't help feeling sorry for everyone who's favorite extracurricular had just gotten nixed— it had to suck, even if we'd all seen it coming.

I got back to work, drowning out the vented frustrations of the class with Shakespeare's confusing words. It was only a few minutes later that I heard the door open and looked up to see Finn slinking inside. He was lacking his usual saunter and made sure to close the door quietly behind him— the demure actions piqued my interest almost as much as his unexplained presence.

He met my confused gaze and threw me a quick wink before sauntering up to Mr. Greer's desk. It wasn't too hard to listen in— many others had stopped their conversations to eavesdrop, probably wondering what wild thing Finn was up to now. I had to admit, I was impressed by how easily he captivated a room full of people.

"Good morning, Mr. Greer." His hands were folded neatly behind his back, voice softer than I'd ever heard from him. "I was hoping you might let Chloe Peters out of class today so she can come to the library and help me with something for my SBP campaign. We've been working on it together and—"

"Chloe," Mr. Greer didn't even bother looking away from his monitor as he interrupted Finn and waved me over with two fingers.

I stood, taking the few steps to the front corner of the room and standing next to Finn. Mr. Greer sighed, reaching for a small pad of paper and grabbing a pen from the mug on his desk that read, "I put the lit in literature." I grimaced at the clear attempt at high school humor, wondering if he knew how little the out-of-touch cup did for his relatability.