Fates: Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Uhh...Your Highness," came Margaret's unsteady voice.

Erwann and I bowed as well and only looked up when King Tideus acknowledged us.

"Rise."

The king did not exactly look angry but it was obvious he had many questions.

"Your Majesty," I began amidst the silence in the room. "May I present to you, Margaret - my Fate."

"I would have been overjoyed by your presence, Margaret," the king said with a small smile. "But I cannot help but stay worried over the princess's condition."

The princess indeed looked like she was simply sleeping but her color looked pale and bubbles were indeed forming all over her body.

"I wish, however," King Tideus continued. "That you would accept my eternal gratitude for joining us in Aquania."

"I...I am thankful for your welcome, Your Majesty. I'm...I'm happy to be here with Seirra," was Margaret's nervous reply.

"We apologize for our irresponsible actions, Your Majesty," Erwann said. "We never wished for the princess's life to be put in danger."

"Although we were not expecting that she would still be unconscious despite having restored the veil, allow us to take responsibility for what happened," I added.

"She is dying...but not dying," the king, his voice obviously distressed. "I have summoned the best healers and they have all declared that she is no longer on the verge of death but no one could explain why she remained unconscious."

"Maybe there was something that needs to be done that we might have missed?" Margaret guessed.

"The Sacred Enchantment was said to require extreme power but its consequences have not been fully discovered. We were desperate to bring you here and we had to take the risk," I told Margaret.

"I have asked the Oracle for help but we have yet to find answers." King Tideus then briefly glanced around and asked, "I was expecting Kalus to join you."

Margaret and I exchanged glances and knew it was time to face the truth.

"He cannot go back to Aquania, Your Majesty," I replied. "He died while he was on land."

"I guess the Black Pearl was not able to help-"

"He was one of Aquania's most powerfu-"

The king and Erwann's faces registered shock from the grave news but nothing could have prepared them for my next words.

"He had betrayed Aquania."

"What are you talking about?!" came Erwann's immediate question.

I swallowed and took a deep breath before I confessed my father's sins.

"Your Majesty. He was behind everything that kept me from finding my Fate. He tried several times to kill Margaret to keep the veil from being restored."

King Tideus had grabbed hold of his trident in anger. Even Erwann looked angry and ready to fight. Except that the one they wanted to convict was already dead.

"But why would Sire Kalus do that?" Erwann asked with gritted teeth.

I found that it was more difficult to reveal my father's reasons than his actual betrayal.

"Because...of my mother," I said, my voice almost a whisper.

I found it difficult to say more and Margaret noticed.

"Seirra's mother was human."

The information surprised Erwann but not King Tideus. He must have known about it. The king still looked grave but for some reason, there seemed to be some sort of understanding in his eyes.