Margaret: Chapter Thirteen

We went to see her everyday after that fateful night. Honestly, after five days of trying to convince her, she had started to get to my nerves. Before we could even get a word out of our mouths, she would lift her hand, and a strong gust of wind would pass by until we no longer knew which direction she had gone. As usual, the receptionist in her building was drunk and stalking Marina had proven useless.

     Damned princess.

     “Is there really no other way to save Aquania?” I asked Seirra irritably.

     “If there is, do you really think I would be here, patiently waiting for her to get out of her cave?” Seirra answered.

     I glanced at him and saw a hint of annoyance in his eyes and posture. He was obviously getting impatient. I guess anyone would—especially with the time constraint.

     Nine days.

     Nine more days before he had to leave.

     Imaginary strings began to tighten around my heart. Every time I think about his impending departure, I feel more and more depressed. As if my life was about to end.

     If only I was the girl he was looking for.

     It would be really nice to be the one to save his beloved homeland and marry him.

     Why did I have to go and fall in love with a merman? I thought miserably.

     “Are you even listening to me?” Seirra’s voice penetrated through my thoughts.

     I blinked several times and ended up looking at him cluelessly.

     “Uhm, I…I’m sorry,” I told him apologetically.

     Seirra smiled.

     “That’s alright. As I was saying, I think the best course of action now is to prevent her from entering her building and confront her right here in the middle of the street.”

     “We tried that already, haven’t we? It didn’t work.”

     “Well, the last time we stopped her, I didn’t really stop her, you know. I keep remembering that I can’t hurt a princess. But maybe, I can simply use my powers to bind her.”

     “Is that going to work?” I asked, doubtful.

     Seirra sighed.

     “I guess not. I can’t bring her back to Aquania if I knock her unconscious, can I?” He asked back, aware of the answer.

     “We both know she had to be in mermaid form if you two are going travel underwater.”

     Seirra and I sighed.

     Why did Marina have to be a difficult person to deal with? I was still mentally complaining about the princess when Seirra suddenly shoved me behind his back. My eyes widened and saw eight red-eyed, green monsters.

     “Dear god, no.”

     “Not again,” Seirra angrily murmured under his breath.

     He got the Ardus sword ready and assumed his fighting stance. We moved towards a wall, using it to protect our backs. Without any further delay, five of them began to attack simultaneously, making it terribly difficult for Seirra to fight back and protect me at the same time. Things began to blur as Seirra moved more rapidly, deflecting the attacks of our enemies. He killed two of the monsters but unfortunately, the rest of the monsters decided to join the fight. Three of them attacked us on our right and Seirra turned to repel their offenses with the Ardus.

     While he was busy trying to keep the enemies from hurting me, a flash of green passed by my peripheral view and in seconds was ready to stab either me or Seirra. My life suddenly flashed through my mind in a rapidly changing series of events—the last sequence being all those days I spent with Seirra.

     I shifted my body to shield Seirra as a soft scream escaped through my mouth. I closed my eyes, ready to die in battle. It’s the least I could do to protect the one I love.

     I have no regrets.

     At the last moment, however, Seirra pushed me out of the way and got stabbed himself. My eyes widened at his cry of pain but he managed to throw our attacker away, successfully killing it after its head hit the pavement.

     He continued to fight and I looked on, unable to do anything, as usual. Tears began to form around my eyes as panic overwhelmed my thoughts and my heart.

     He couldn’t do it. There are way too many of them. We’re going to die.

     And then I remembered the Key.

     Damn, why do I always remember the Key at the last moment?

     I quickly thought of a way to defeat the monsters but all that entered my mind was how Marina hurled her ex five meters away with just a flick of her hand. The Key must have realized it was exactly what we need and reacted immediately. Within a second, all five of our assailants flew in all directions—hitting a wall or a lamp post.

     I breathed a sigh of relief as I glimpsed on each of the dead monsters.

     “Are you…alright?” Seirra asked with a wince.

     “Obviously. You’re the one who isn’t.”

     “Don’t mind me.”

     “Shut up,” I scolded.

     Strong winds suddenly passed by and I heard muffled screams which ended with loud thuds. Seirra and I both turned and found two more ugly mermen slowly disappearing into bubbles. Not far from them was Marina.

     I watched her slowly advance towards us, not far from the entrance to her building.

     “I said I don’t want anything to do with Aquania. I never said I wanted you dead,” Marina announced before she entered the building.

     “Uh, thanks,” I hesitantly said. It was hard to believe the bitch would actually help us.

     And then Seirra fainted.

     She half-turned and saw me struggling with Seirra’s weight.

     “He needs healing. Bring him in.”