Fates: Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

The reminder of my father brought a sharp pain through my chest and I completely lost my ability to speak. Margaret seemed to have sensed it because she moved closer to me as if letting me know that she knew exactly what I was feeling.

Erwann spoke in a neutral voice, "What do you mean? Seirra and I never left. We were in his home the whole time."

The second soldier smiled back at us. "No need to hide the truth, Your Highness," he replied. "King Tideus has announced that Sire Kalus sent a message to confirm that Seirra has traveled back to the surface and found the other half of the Fates. When nobody could find either of you, everyone assumed that you were together."

Merpeople had started to gather and were pointing or waving at us. Such news traveled the grapevine faster than an announcement would. Everyone seemed genuinely happy seeing Margaret, knowing full well that she was one of the Fates who had kept the veil from being destroyed.

"It's quite surprising. Who would've thought that a human would save us from humans?" the second soldier continued.

"Just a word of warning, though. Not everyone welcomes humans who chose to become one of us," the first soldier told Margaret. "Although, you may be treated differently since you're a Fate."

Margaret whispered a thank you and smiled back but she was obviously flustered. I knew Aquanians would be kind to her. There were already a number of merpeople who were once humans who was living well with us. Everyone knew they were different and they were not exactly popular but Aquanians had learned to accept them. Or at the very least tolerate their existence. With Margaret's personality, however, I was sure merfolks would not shun her for being different. And maybe that may help the cases of the others.

I remembered what the second soldier had said and I gathered every ounce of control that I could muster.

"You said my father sent a message to the King?"

"Yes. At least the King said so," the second soldier replied. "King Tideus also said that Sire Kalus went on land to help you."

So nobody knew what happened to my father.

"I see," Erwann said. "Thank you for the welcome. Perhaps it's time for us to see the King. I am sure he would want to meet Margaret."

Erwann's words were easily understood by the soldiers as they replied, "Of course, Your Highness."

As they led us to the castle, thoughts of my father and Princess Marina filled my mind. I held onto Margaret's hand as she quietly swam beside me and I knew she was worried. Merpeople continued to greet us left and right and we should have been happy. However, until we get answers from the King, a celebration would be the last thing we would have wanted.

"I didn't know your father went on land to help you," Erwann whispered beside me. "Why didn't he join us on our way back?"

Margaret heard Erwann's question and tightened her hold on my hand.

"Several things happened. I'll explain later," I answered.

We went to Marina's room as soon as we got into the castle. I was expecting to be led to the throne room and I knew the king had found out something was wrong with the princess. Erwann visibly looked nervous and I could not help but start to feel the same way. We endangered the life of the princess and that could very well be an act of treason.

The soldiers left as soon as the three of us entered the room. The king had his back to us and when he turned around, his smile belied the worry in his eyes. Margaret seemed to immediately recognize the authority he exudes because she immediately bowed low to show her respect.