Cutting the Roses

They weren't mine. Those helpless coughs and wheezes, desperately trying to gain air, for once didn't come from me.

They came from next door.

Fucking Kirishima.

Please. Please. Please. Don't tell me he has it too.

It's probably some sick cold, or he drank water and it went the wrong way. Or—

I'm frantically knocking at his door, desperate for a response.

Nothing.

I bang on the wooden door again.

Nothing.

"Shitty-Hair! Open up!"

Nothing.

Bursting through the door, knowing that he wouldn't have locked his dorm, I'm in his room.

The overwhelming scent of roses blast my nostrils, as I take one step further into his room.

Swallowing the large lump stuck in my throat, I peek at the crooked open bathroom door.

Roses.

Beautiful, golden rose petals, gorgeously painted in blood.

My heart drops at the sight. My heart plummets out of my body, through the floor, down to the center of the earth.

Kirishima, hunched over to toilet, yellow rose petals scattered everywhere. There wasn't a spot in the bathroom where it wasn't decorated in blood stained flower petals. The sickly sweet smell seeped and crawled through my nostrils and in my lungs, making me want to vomit.

Kirishima looks over at me with a tear and blood stained face, petals stuck in his shark-like teeth. The bags under his eyes were prominent, and his eyes brimmed with tears were dull, and could only reflect pain and hurt.

"Wha—What happened?" I croak out, the sight making my heart twist painfully.

"I-I don't know. I—I—I'm going to die, aren't I? I—I—"

I dash over, picking him up bridal style and carrying over to the bed, taking an empty bathroom trash can with me. There was no way I was gonna let him stay in that rose infested room, the overwhelming bitter sweet scent making anyone nauseous.

I sit down, back pressed against the wall, Kirishima in my lap.

"When did this start?" I ask, trying to sound as calm and composed as possible, when really, I'm freaking the fuck out.

I had a panicking and dying Kirishima in my arms, and the turning and twisting feeling in my chest hadn't gone away either which wasn't the greatest help.

"Um. S-Since yesterday evening. Wh-When you suddenly left when we were having a moment, I-I felt this pang in my chest. And suddenly I couldn't breathe. I've been hunched over the toilet since. It hurts. Why does it h-hurt so much?" The weakened red head answered between coughs and tears.

I did this.

I did this to him.

Monster

"So, all that coughing from last night, was cuz of the flowers? Not a cold. You've been hunched over like that, the whole fucking night?!" I ask, bewildered. It took me a week to get this bad, and Kirishima was almost as bad as I am. Until 12 hours ago, we were at the same fucking level. For fucks sake, I really did this to him, didn't I?

I'm hurting him.

Twist

Causing him pain.