CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

Sam and him begin to search the place for her, both wearing distressed expressions. Dakota calls out for him again, but Sam's the one to hear him. His face instantly becomes one of relief.

"Kota!" He calls, hitting Dean's shoulder to get his attention. Dean whips around and practically rips Dakota from the waitress' grip.

He places his hand on the back of her head and brings her closer to him, he sighs heavily and hugs her tighter. Sam's hand briefly rubs her back before he asks the bartender where Ed Brewer was.

"Never do that to me again." Dean mutters in Dakota's hair. She presses her head against his cheek, sensing his distress.

"Sorry, daddy." Dean doesn't say anything, just presses a kiss against her head.

Sam ushers them towards where Ed Brewer's sitting. Dean keeps Dakota in a tight embrace as he follows his brother.

"I told the cops everything I saw." Ed snaps, wiping his mouth after taking a drink from a large container with beer in it. Dakota stares at the thing in shock, never seeing something that big that holds beer.

She nudges her dad and points at the thing sneakily. She grins at him, but he gives her an unimpressed raise of his eyebrow. She sighs before returning to the conversation.

"Believe me, Mr. Brewer, we're different." Dean says gruffly, the vibrations of his voice traveling through his chest and into Dakota's back.

"I spoke the God's honest truth, and now I'm the town joke." Ed responds sadly.

"Marissa Wright's murder is no joke to us." Sam speaks up, calming Ed down. "And we want to hear everything. No matter how strange it may seem."

"We have a lot of experience with strange." Dean informs, moving Dakota slightly on his hip to lean forward.

Ed nods slowly before practically attacking his beer, Dakota and Sam watch him with squinted eyes before exchanging a look. Ed uncoordinatedly wipes his mouth and gives them a thumbs up.

"It was just after midnight." Ed starts dramatically. "I cut through the park on the way home. At first, I thought it was a couple kissing. But she was...struggling too much. And this man, he was--well, he was biting her neck."

"Edward!" Dakota announces, looking at Dean excitedly as he sighs and shakes his head with closed eyes.

"Hush." Dean chastises quietly as Sam tries to bring the attention away from Dakota's outburst.

"Can you describe her assailant?"

"Oh, he was a vampire." Dakota looks at her dad with a pointed look at Ed's words. Dean rolls his eyes at his daughter.

"Okay, right. And by that, you mean--" Dean's trails slightly for Ed to fill in.

"You know, a vampire." Ed hisses slightly to enunciate his words.

"Uh-huh." Dean hums incredulously, dragging out the hum slowly. Ed mumbles out a 'yeah' at Dean's agreement, not seeing the disbelief. "So, he looked like--"

"He looked like a vampire," Ed cuts Dean off, getting annoyed by the repeated clarification. "You know, with the fangs and the slicked-back hair and the fancy cape and the little medallion thingy on the ribbon."

"You mean like a Dracula?" Dean and Dakota say at the same time, Dean's voice raises a couple octaves in disbelief.

Ed grins, pointing excitedly at the pair. "Exactly. Like a Dracula." Dean and Dakota slowly move their wide eyes over to Sam in pure disbelief. "Right down to the accent."